• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

J-Ral

Beginners Book Recommendation...

This topic is 5215 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi All, I am a graduate Computer Science student from the University of Adelaide, South Australia. Unlike most US colleges, my University neglected to teach us anything about Game development except one course on some of the basic AI theory e.g. MiniMax with Alpha-Beta and Evolutionary Programming. So, being a student, I''ve decided the only way for me to learn about game development is to buy some books and start programming at home. But, there are so many choices out there, some bad for beginners, some good, some just bad in genereal (according to reviews), that I just don''t know which ones will give me the best knowledge for my money - since I have bugger all expendable income, this is an important issue. I was wondering if some of the more experienced game programmers out there may be able to recommend a few choices of books for someone with intermediate programming skills (I only just graduated - little commercial experience) and no graphics programming experience. I would like to explore all aspects of game development in order to obtain an idea of what Id like to pursue further and what I might be best at. I would really appreciate any advice that the experienced game programmers can offer in respect to starting a career in this highly competitive game development industry. Thanks, J-Ral. Trace back the elements...

Advertisement
Since you''re a computer science student I''m gonna assume your programming isn''t an issue. (Ignoring that, the Deitel & Deitel C++ and Java books are very good)

As to game programming. There are so many good internet resources (and, I know, so many bad ones) that books are often not worth the money. For example, google for Nehe OpenGL and you will find one of the best OpenGL (3D Graphics) tutorials on the net.

hey y- i am going to be buying a new book soon also. would you reccomend that book to me if im not doing any 3d graphics? im working on a 2d rpg in C++ and im gunna get the STL by josuetti(sp?), but i also want to get another book. would you reccommend this one even if im not doing any 3d?

[edited by - graveyard filla on May 7, 2004 12:56:53 AM]

Core Techniques and Algorithms tells about things like AI, Network programming, 2d and 3d game programming and a lot of rendering algorithms.

It's also a good book if you're programming in 2d and if you want to move to 3d it will also help you

I forgot to mention there is also a review of this book on Gamasutra.

[edited by - Scheermesje on May 8, 2004 7:40:51 AM]

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!