What Should I Learn Next?

Started by
24 comments, last by Badazz T 19 years, 11 months ago
I''m learning Blitz BASIC. All I really wanted to do was get a general idea of what programing was. I need a "stepping stone language" that wil let me use what I''ve learned....Got a suggetion? (was thinking about VB)
THE GOLDEN RULE OF GAMING:Sleep Is For The Weak
Advertisement
go to c++
______________________________________________________________________________________With the flesh of a cow.
Well, when you''re finished with Blitz Basic, you should consider trying an extremely awesome language instead of a "stepping stone" one. Like Python.
go buy a book for c++
then prepare for lots of fun surrounded by frustration...
but still worth it
Or get a book on Python, and prepare for even more fun without any frustration. It''s your call.

I know this thread will get swarmed with C++ advocates, so I want to stress my point as early as possible.
Yup, definitely C++.

When you find yourself in the company of a halfling and an ill-tempered Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon...
Without order nothing can exist - without chaos nothing can evolve.
Since you''re on a game programming website, I assume that is one of your interests - python, lisp, OCaml, ruby, delphi or whatever other languages people like to throw out in threads like these simply can''t compete with C++ in this area. Any of those others would make great second languages though, and I suggest you do pick one after you''ve become reasonably comfortable with C++.

[My site|SGI STL|Bjarne FAQ|C++ FAQ Lite|MSDN|Jargon]
Ripped off from various people
[size=2]
quote:Original post by wild_pointer
Since you're on a game programming website, I assume that is one of your interests - python, lisp, OCaml, ruby, delphi or whatever other languages people like to throw out in threads like these simply can't compete with C++ in this area. Any of those others would make great second languages though, and I suggest you do pick one after you've become reasonably comfortable with C++.

Now that's just misleading. I'm going to make the bold assumption here that Badazz isn't planning to start off making highly graphically intensive 3D simulations. The only thing Python lacks in compared to C++ is speed, and it holds up quite admirably for the 2D games a newbie would start with even in C++.

And on the plus side, Python is cleaner, simpler, more friendly, and more flexible than C++. IMO a perfect language to learn the fundamentals of game programming in.

Why would someone want to struggle against the annoying quirks and idiosyncracies of C++ while they're still trying to figure out the mechanics of putting together a moderately complex 2D game? I know I wish I'd started off with Python; it would have saved me a lot of time and wasted effort.

[edited by - twix on May 6, 2004 10:40:29 PM]
quote:Original post by twix
Now that''s just misleading. I''m going to make the bold assumption here that Badazz isn''t planning to start off making highly graphically intensive 3D simulations. The only thing Python lacks in compared to C++ is speed, and it holds up quite admirably for the 2D games a newbie would start with even in C++.

Oh, comon. I wasn''t even talking about performance. Let''s compare and contrast the resources available for learning C++ and graphics programming in C++ to those available for Python. Yeah. Besides, I seriously doubt you would appreciate Python as you do if you did not first learn C++.

Face it, if you wanna work in games, you need to know C++.

[My site|SGI STL|Bjarne FAQ|C++ FAQ Lite|MSDN|Jargon]
Ripped off from various people
[size=2]
IMO you should learn C. It''s less complex than C++, is relatively easy to use, easy to read, and very powerful.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement