• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Free movie library....n00b question

This topic is 5030 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

In DirectShow you can display a variety of movie formats like DivX, xVid, WMA, etc. I am writing my game engine in openGl (because I want to port to Linux), and was wondering if there was a free library for loading and displaying movies. I''d particulary like to use xVid movies, but beggars can''t be choosers. The true general first seeks victory, then seeks battle - Sun Tzu

Advertisement
I tried that, just looking for an easy way out.

EDIT: I couldn't figure out how to use the xVid codec anyway! Their site is a convoluted mess!

[edited by - Drakkcon on May 7, 2004 7:40:05 AM]

[edited by - Drakkcon on May 7, 2004 5:23:53 PM]

how to use codecs ?to play video file in opengl "i''m usw opengl"
and i want to open video on my game...
is there any free lib like fmod

NeHe has a tutorial on playing .avi files using OpenGL, might be worth a look.

Awesome! Now that's what I'm looking for! Thanks man!

quote:

how to use codecs ?to play video file in opengl "i'm usw opengl"
and i want to open video on my game...
is there any free lib like fmod

Are you making fun of me?

[edited by - Drakkcon on May 7, 2004 5:24:42 PM]

I''d recommend ffmpeg. Just google for it. It is kindof ruff to get started with, but it will accomplish what you need on Windows and Linux (probably OS X - not sure though).
It supports many codec formats.

As for xVid, yeah, I tried that before, took forever to figure out how to compile and use it. But, than it became apparent to me that I could not release anything using thier version of DivX - to many legal issues.

Anyway, ffmpeg uses many codecs, some copyrighted, but many that are not.

Didn''t know that about xVid, and also about ffmpeg! Thank you very much!

i''m not making fun of you i''m serious
i working on opengl

i found link for ffmpeg

http://easynews.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/ffmpeg/ffmpeg-0.4.8.tar.gz

but i don''t know how to install it i''m using winxp and vc++6

Yea, uh....is there a windows version of FFMPEG? I''m going for Linux AND windows compatibility here....

Unfortunately, to compile on Windows you will need to use the MinGW toolset click here for documentation .

It seems kindof difficult at first, but it is not that hard to build. Also, to build the sample Video Player (ffplay) you must download the SDL lib. - it''s all in the instruction.

When you build using the MinGW compiler, if you want to make it into a dll that MS compilers can use:

./configure --enable-shared

Than when making:
make install
will copy the dll''s and required header files into a program files directory.

I use the 0.4.8 version (even though it''s quite old now) because it performs well enough for me. I will update to a later version soon though. But, sometimes the newer CVS version header files copied into program files directory are not exactly compatiable with VC6 (may work for newer compilers, i''m not sure).

I made a video plugin that works with Ogre (www.ogre3d.org), and I have the compiled dll''s and header files there, check out ogreaddons module in the Ogre CVS, or look for the nightly snapshot in the downloads area. But I would suggest you build it yourself so you get the sample player that comes with it built.

:>

Wow, that''s cool. You may make me start using OGRE! Thanks for your help.

No problem...

In fact, using Ogre is not a bad idea at all. Very soon now .14 should be released which will include support for shadows (and my video plugin), though CVS version already has such support.

Scheduled after that, for the .15 release (possibly even a 1.0 release) there will be a code clean up, code review, object destrcutions/re-creations will be cleaned up. And other small glitches should be hammered out.

Also, CrazyEddie was working on a port of his GUI system to Ogre, should be worth waiting for - a much better improvement over the current GUI system.

Very exciting news for the Ogre community.

i download mingw32 and it's work good and CVS for FFmpeag
when i want to install it i had this problem from ffinstall.nsi

$ ffinstall.nsi
./ffinstall.nsi: line 1: syntax error near unexpected token `;'
./ffinstall.nsi: line 1: `; NSIS Script For FFmpeg'

what is the answer

if some one have the .lib and .dll files for it i would be happy if send it at
yyytt24@hotmail.com

[edited by - ff8 on May 9, 2004 4:48:40 PM]

Looks like you built the NSIS installer, and I can''t help you there since I''ve never tried using that. However, what configure flags did you use to setup make files? Also note that -enabled-shared is only if you want to use the resulting dll''s with Visual C++, and it will try to use MS Lib tool.

I suggest just doing "make install" which will just copy ffplay.exe, avcodec.dll, avformat.dll, and header files to program files/ffmpeg/ (which can also be done manually if everything built)

I do have the .dll, .lib, and headers built for 0.4.8 in Ogreaddons CVS. Just checkout that repository, it''s under videoplugin directory. Or you can download Ogreaddon CVS snapshot http://www.ogre3d.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=Downloads&file=index&req=viewsdownload&sid=2

I built those .dll''s using only these flags (I believe)
disable-risky enable-shared

If you are not familiar with it I would think it might be an idea to check the open ML (media library) out. have not checked it so much myself. But I know that it exsist and should perhaps be of some help.

OpenML

//Qrikko

"All it takes is for the rendered image to look right" -Jim Blinn

thanks all for the helping

pjcast you said i can produce .lib & .dll files in ms lib tool in vc++
how ?
is it by includding .c and .h files in the project ??

bye!
ff8

Well, it automatically tries to make the dll''s and corresponding .lib''s for linking if you run configure like the following:
./configure --enable-shared

That will set up the make files to produce a dll
Then you run: make install

So you do not need to include and .c files into your project, just the header files which should end up being copied to the program files/ffmpeg/ directory.

If your running into errors, please post them. However, If you have the MS tools, and it''s not working, ensure that your path variable includes your VC bin directory. And that you can open up a command prompt, type in lib, and it displays the MS lib program.

hi
ok i have opened MINGW32 and write what you said
configure --enable-shared

i face this thing

big/little test failed
./configure: sdl-config: command not found
./configure: sdl-config: command not found
Install prefix /h/FFmpeg
Source path /h/fmp
C compiler gcc
make make
CPU x86 (generic)
Big Endian no
MMX enabled yes
Vector Builtins no
gprof enabled no
zlib enabled no
mp3lame enabled no
vorbis enabled no
faad enabled no
faadbin enabled no
a52 support no
a52 dlopened no
pp support no
debug symbols yes
optimize yes
shared pp no
Video hooking no
SDL support no
risky / patent encumbered codecs yes
Sun medialib support no
AMR-NB float support no
AMR-NB fixed support no
Creating config.mak and config.h
config.h is unchanged

it give me this path
/h/FFmpeg
when i go i don't found any folder what should i do??
bye!!
ff8

[edited by - ff8 on May 11, 2004 7:51:25 AM]

Well, I see nothing wrong the output from configure... Well, the failed big/little endian test i have not seen before. And I have no idea why your path is h.

Anyway, what happens when you run make?
Does it fully compile? If not what are the errors? If it does compile fully the .lib and dll''s should be in a directory somewhere.

Also, I have not tried CVS lately, perhaps that is your problem. Try getting 0.4.8 . I know that it compiles and works fine on windows.

• Advertisement