• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MetaKnight

Recommend Shadow Tech?

This topic is 5304 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, i was looking to learn a shadow technequiqe that i would be able to run on low hardware, like vs 2.0 max im using it for a RPG game where the player needs to cast a shadow, but the light would never change direction. The player animates also. So would anyone like to recomend any techquies to render the easyest fastest shadow to make? i dont really care too much about the quality. Ive read some of the tutorials here, but they seem much too slow even using vertex shaders, and also they seem like too much for what i want to do. thanks you ! [edited by - MetaKnight on May 6, 2004 12:52:57 AM]

Advertisement
Depends on the poly count. Stencil Shadows as triangle count go up are fillrate dependent. Shadow mapping requires that you have access to the zbuffer. But if self shadowing isn''t really necessary then you can for go the zbuffer check and just render the model to texture and project it to the receiving geometry.
~Wave

ah i see thank you
so id want to setup the matrix to render the model from the lights view and then project that surface onto the land?
can you give me a lil pesudocode?

[edited by - MetaKnight on May 7, 2004 3:51:02 AM]

quote:
Original post by MetaKnight
Hi, i was looking to learn a shadow technequiqe that i would be able to run on low hardware, like vs 2.0 max

vs 2.0 is only available on DX9 class cards. If that''s the low end for you, what''s the high end??

As far as shadow techniques go, there are quite a number of them with varying levels of quality. A search in the Graphics Programming and Theory forum will give you tons of info.

There are three main techniques. Projected Shadows, Shadow Volumes, and Shadow Maps. Shadow Volumes and Shadow Maps are able to deal with fully dynamic scenes. But it seems like this might be a little more than you need in your situation.

neneboricua

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!