texture units...

Started by
6 comments, last by no one 19 years, 11 months ago
Hiya, simple question... If I my gfx card only has 4 texture units, why does it say it can support up to 16 texture pass per pixel? Does that mean rendering the scene 12 times plus the 4 textures? 4 seems rather low to me, Ive read about people using 7,8 texture units, whats the deal with this? Im just an idiot, lol. Thanks.
"Make it a habit to be loyal to the activities that serve the highest part of yourself."
Advertisement
What kind of card do you have?

My Website | Everything you need to know about 3D Graphics | Google | Search the Forums
The fixed function pipeline supports 4 textures on nvidia hardware. Move to fragment programs to get access to the texture image units, of which there are 8-16 ( I can''t remember how many the FX has - 16 I think ).

You have to remember that you''re unique, just like everybody else.
If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.
nVidia e-GeForce Fx 5200 128 agp...

"Move to fragment programs to get access to the texture image units, of which there are 8-16 ( I can''t remember how many the FX has - 16 I think )."

then does that mean that I potentially can bind up to 16 textures, say to my terrain?

thnx.
"Make it a habit to be loyal to the activities that serve the highest part of yourself."
No, it means you can bind 4 textures at a time but you can sample from them up to 16 times - you could sample from each of your 4 textures in 4 different places for example.

edit: Actually, I think the GeForce FX 5200 can access 16 textures simultaneously when using PS 2.0

[edited by - mattnewport on May 7, 2004 2:08:07 PM]

Game Programming Blog: www.mattnewport.com/blog

All Geforce FX:s can use 8 discrete textures at a time, and have an unlimited texture read count (up to the hard limit of 512 instructions, of which at least 1 must be the write to color out register).

-Nik

Niko Suni

quote:Original post by Nik02
All Geforce FX:s can use 8 discrete textures at a time, and have an unlimited texture read count (up to the hard limit of 512 instructions, of which at least 1 must be the write to color out register).

-Nik

Doesn''t PS 2.0 require cards to support 16 sampler registers? I''ve just tried 11 simultaneous textures on my GeForceFX 5600 and it works. I think 16 is the limit, not 8.

Game Programming Blog: www.mattnewport.com/blog

Did you use more than 8 different textures?
I am mis-informed if the limit is more than 8.

EDIT: Apparently 8 is the limit per-clock. So, per shader, you could use up to 16 textures.

[edited by - Nik02 on May 7, 2004 3:01:17 PM]

Niko Suni

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement