• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

no one

texture units...

This topic is 5216 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hiya, simple question... If I my gfx card only has 4 texture units, why does it say it can support up to 16 texture pass per pixel? Does that mean rendering the scene 12 times plus the 4 textures? 4 seems rather low to me, Ive read about people using 7,8 texture units, whats the deal with this? Im just an idiot, lol. Thanks.

Advertisement
The fixed function pipeline supports 4 textures on nvidia hardware. Move to fragment programs to get access to the texture image units, of which there are 8-16 ( I can''t remember how many the FX has - 16 I think ).

You have to remember that you''re unique, just like everybody else.

nVidia e-GeForce Fx 5200 128 agp...

"Move to fragment programs to get access to the texture image units, of which there are 8-16 ( I can''t remember how many the FX has - 16 I think )."

then does that mean that I potentially can bind up to 16 textures, say to my terrain?

thnx.

No, it means you can bind 4 textures at a time but you can sample from them up to 16 times - you could sample from each of your 4 textures in 4 different places for example.

edit: Actually, I think the GeForce FX 5200 can access 16 textures simultaneously when using PS 2.0

[edited by - mattnewport on May 7, 2004 2:08:07 PM]

All Geforce FX:s can use 8 discrete textures at a time, and have an unlimited texture read count (up to the hard limit of 512 instructions, of which at least 1 must be the write to color out register).

-Nik

quote:
Original post by Nik02
All Geforce FX:s can use 8 discrete textures at a time, and have an unlimited texture read count (up to the hard limit of 512 instructions, of which at least 1 must be the write to color out register).

-Nik

Doesn''t PS 2.0 require cards to support 16 sampler registers? I''ve just tried 11 simultaneous textures on my GeForceFX 5600 and it works. I think 16 is the limit, not 8.

Did you use more than 8 different textures?
I am mis-informed if the limit is more than 8.

EDIT: Apparently 8 is the limit per-clock. So, per shader, you could use up to 16 textures.

[edited by - Nik02 on May 7, 2004 3:01:17 PM]

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!