• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which Audio Library

This topic is 5127 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I decided to add some audio functions to my game engine. I must decide which one to use because I can''t change it the half way. OpenAL, fmod or others? Which one do you think is the best. Easy to learn Easy to use Less CPU Best Quality and functionality Licence free and so on... I''m not looking for any obsessive habits just objective ideas. Thank you for your concern Serdar

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
Directmusic.

I would recommend FMOD as it's extremely powerful yet incredibluy simple to use, if your planning on selling your end product then FMOD isn't applicable due to the license but there is another library called Audiere which is LGPL.

[edited by - Spudder on May 7, 2004 6:28:16 AM]

quote:
Original post by Tachikoma
OpenAL, simply beacuse its ''style'' is similar to OpenGL.

OpenAL''s OGL like look is really attactive. I will go on OAL if anyone don''t give any decisive capabilities of others. I am askink about the best library because I know I noone can know the best without once trying it. Written capabilities in those libraries'' sites could be misleading. I don''t have time to try them all. So I look for vision of the users. Comparisons will be more useful than just names.

Thank you very much

Serdar

quote:
Original post by Spudder
I would recommend FMOD as it''s extremely powerful yet incredibluy simple to use, if your planning on selling your end product then FMOD isn''t applicable due to the license but there is another library called Audiere which is LGPL.

FMOD, seconded. And actually the licensing isn''t that bad, for hobby developers only $100 and for proffessionals $1000(for one platform). And it''s completely free if you don''t plan to sell your product.

Read more on fmod.org

I was aware that it was free for non-commercial projects but I didn''t they did a hobbyist license for only $100, thanks for the info.

quote:
Original post by fredizzimo
quote:
Original post by Spudder
I would recommend FMOD as it''s extremely powerful yet incredibluy simple to use, if your planning on selling your end product then FMOD isn''t applicable due to the license but there is another library called Audiere which is LGPL.

FMOD, seconded. And actually the licensing isn''t that bad, for hobby developers only $100 and for proffessionals $1000(for one platform). And it''s completely free if you don''t plan to sell your product.

Read more on fmod.org

Go with FMOD, so beautifuly made.

There is basicaly a function you call to initalize sound, play a sound, and shutdown the audio system. Its SO basic, but allows lots of tweeks when the need arises.

Guest Anonymous Poster
I started with OpenAL (being a fan of OpenGL) but switched to FMOD as it is more mature has more support behind it.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!