• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ade-the-heat

OpenGL opengl and MS-please no flame!

This topic is 5214 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

On windows apparently only opengl up to version 1.1 is available yet opengl is up to version 1.5. (to the moderators please feel free to end the thread if it gets too non-objective). Is this a big issue - I mean are us developers losing a lot in this - although having seen the faqs page it seems there are loads of ways around it ? What are MS reasons for keeping it at 1.1 ? cheers

Advertisement
MS compete to OpenGL with DirectGraphics, and since MS never plays fair, they promote their own API by not supporting new OpenGL versions.
MS was in the ARB and promised for years to update it, they never did and got kicked out of the ARB, they promised an update for 2000... 4 years ago.
Simply said, the do their best to make their competitor product be hard to use, while making their own product as easy as possible to use to get the market.

Now you know why many people don''t like MS.

-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-

quote:
Original post by Ingenu
MS compete to OpenGL with DirectGraphics

Direct what?

quote:

, and since MS never plays fair,

/.-ism

But it's true that the OpenGL you get with Windows is 1.1.

If you want to use 1.2 or above you can use the extension header from SGI (glext.h). Look at wglGetProcAddres to get function pointers.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

[edited by - rohde on May 7, 2004 6:35:27 AM]

quote:
Original post by Venerable Vampire
Still stuck with a windoze? Buy a *nix. Or better yet a mac. Ya, mac.

Life would be so much easier if we could just get the source code.

Wow...what a helpful post.

There''s no place like 127.0.0.1

You lose nothing as a developer. The cards themselves supply the drivers which support the functionality using OpenGL extension mechanisms. A page with plenty of information on OpenGL extensions is available here.

OFF TOPIC:

quote:
Original post by Ingenu
...random display of a questionable level of knowledge...

Actually Microsoft willingly resigned from the ARB. This was based on a number factors. Petty disagreements abounds in the ARB not being the least of problems. Microsoft and the ARB also began to have more and more disputes regarding intellectual property rights. Furthermore DirectX and OpenGL presented a basic conflict of interests with Microsoft on the ARB.

You can read the meeting notes here and judge for yourself. Notice the slow change from an organized board to a board where a good amount of time is spent bickering. Judge for yourself.

quote:
Original post by Ingenu
Now you know why many people don''t like MS.

I''ve always known that the reason many people dislike Microsoft is ignorance, no need to further the stereotype.

quote:
Original post by Tachikoma
if you need v1.5 headers and libs, download the MESA library.

where would someone go about getting that?

edit: never mind found it with google lol.

But seen as though w're on the subject of why Windows ships with only OpenGL 1.1, why the hell dont SGI release higher implementations of it? If you have an extremely gay graphics card like i do with no OpenGL support then you're pretty much stuck with version 1.1.

~aussie

"one of these days im going to cut you into little pieces!!" - Pink Floyd

[edited by - James Sioutis on May 7, 2004 11:17:44 AM]

quote:
Original post by James Sioutis
But seen as though w''re on the subject of why Windows ships with only OpenGL 1.1, why the hell dont SGI release higher implementations of it? If you have an extremely gay graphics card like i do with no OpenGL support then you''re pretty much stuck with version 1.1.

1. Your fault for buying a ''gay'' graphics card.
2. Its not up to SGI to release implementations for *your* crappy graphics card, its up to the card manufacturer.
3. If it really is a crappy card, then odds are it can''t handle anything above 1.1 anyway (hence the lack of drivers).

Everyone complains that extensions are hard to use, and they are right, up to some point. Allthough extensions aren't extremely hard to support, they do complicate everyone's life.

Lets face the facts please. Microsoft does not update OpenGL because they are promoting their own 3D rendering API (Direct3D)... And they want to reduce the chances for OpenGL... And it works, many game development companies now pick Direct3D over OpenGL because they consider it easier to implement the latest features in.

I personally consider those tacticts to be dishonest. Instead of trying to innovate on their own, they try to block others instead, but thats my opinion. Microsoft fanboys will tell you something else, which goes along the line of "as long as its legal, its perfectly fine", or "microsoft does not have to support OpenGL" (which basically means the same).

Let me just correct one thing:

quote:
MS was in the ARB and promised for years to update it, they never did and got kicked out of the ARB

I believe that they never got "kicked out", officially, they left on their own (but its a good thing anyways).

Looking for a serious game project?
www.xgameproject.com

[edited by - Max_Payne on May 7, 2004 11:45:46 AM]

This topic is 5214 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.