opengl and MS-please no flame!

Started by
14 comments, last by ade-the-heat 19 years, 11 months ago
actually, using extensions isn''t difficult these days...try checking this out:

http://glew.sourceforge.net/

and others...
Advertisement
I don''t think they intend on dropping out completely from their OpenGL support (even if they could). As a matter of fact I just applied for a job listed on this site(about a week ago, maybe two) for Microsoft that was for a project lead position in their OpenGL division.

They are probably the red-headed stepchild at MS, but some interest is still being displayed.

We''ll see.

J

haha .. red-headed stepchild ... probably more like bottom feeders.
Latest project: Sideways Racing on the iPad
I don''t know how far it will go but M$ have shown some intrest in OpenGL 2.0 which would be a nice change.

I must say, I hold no truck with those who say using extensions it so much hard work. Frankly I prefer the extension mechanism the farting around COM that is necessary with DirectX. Personally, I think OpenGL being portable should make everyone use it over DX but apparently not no-one cares.
I also do not believe that using extensions is difficult. Just check if they are there, define the functions (if your headers don''t do that already) and use them. The only problem is when a desired extension is not really there. But then again, one can write a flexible engine that will use the extensions only if they exist, and if they don''t exist either use a get around way, or don''t implement various features.

Member of the Un-Ban nes8bit Association (UNA) (to join put this in your sig)
Height Map Editor | Fast User Directory
quote:Original post by ade-the-heat
What are MS reasons for keeping it at 1.1 ?
Given that your central question is an invitation to speculation over unknown motives behind an action generally considered negative, this is pure flamebait.

Given that the majority of the posts so far are trolling, and that there are threads that deal directly with the issue of using extensions, thread closed.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement