• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jeroenb

Using 8 textures?

This topic is 5311 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am trying to use 8 textures just for fun, but it seems my apps still don''t want to work. When I use: glGetIntegerv (GL_MAX_TEXTURE_UNITS_ARB, &TextureUnitCount); I always get 4, but I have a GeforceFX, so I should be able to use up to 8 textures simultaniously. Any idea how to solve this?

Advertisement
In the fixed pipeline you can only use 4 textures at the same time

to be able to use the rest you need to use fragmentprograms, and then you have another query value to get the maximum number of units.

[add] : thats a limitation of nvidia, on ati you have 8 texture units in the fixed pipe

[edited by - MazyNoc on May 7, 2004 6:19:37 AM]

ok, thanks.

[Add] Is this also related to another problem I have: I am trying to implement shadow extrusion on the GPU, but when I use a loop I get 3 fps. Strange thing here is that when I use the CG runtime it works perfectly at 85 fps.

[edited by - jeroenb on May 7, 2004 6:33:08 AM]

No, it means CG. And I use:
vertexProfile = cgGLGetLatestProfile(CG_GL_VERTEX);
cgGLSetOptimalOptions(vertexProfile);

whichs results in the VP_30 if I debug the app. And then I try to use the normal glVertexAttribxxNV, glBindProgramNV, ect functions to run the program. But that gives me framerates of 3. When I use CG to load and bind the program like:

cgGLLoadProgram (vertexProgram);
cgGLBindProgram(vertexProgram);
cgGLEnableProfile(vertexProfile);

Then I get framerates of 85.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!