• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Damocles

simple inlining question

This topic is 5212 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

This is bugging me - it''s one of those things that I feel I should know by now, but when I come to try it, I realise I don''t know The question is - how do you inline a non member function? I have a function declared in a regular cpp file that I would like to make inlined into every call made to it. I guess I could macro it, but I figure there has to be a way to tell the compiler to inline it. If I try, it generates linker errors. I''m using VC6 if it makes a difference.

Advertisement
You should be able to define an inline function, and have it inlined provided:

1. You define it in a .h file rather than a .cpp file
2. You don''t try to take the address of it

I haven''t actually tried, but as far as I''m aware, it works exactly like inline member functions.

Mark

inline is just a hint to the compiler, it doesn''t actually have to listen to it. You use it like this:

inline int max( int a , int b )
{
return a > b ? a : b;
}
int main()
{
max(5,6);
}

VC++ 2003.net has a microsoft specific keyword to force inlining, __forceinline, not sure if it is implemented in VC++6.

Yeah, there''s the kicker - I want to keep the declaration in a header file and the body in a cpp file.

I maintain a globals.h header file that contains the declarations for all global variables and functions which then gets included in almost every new class/file. Saves a lot of time with not having to include a million different headers.
The problem is, if I keep the inlined functions in the header file, then any time I want to make minor changes to the functions, I will have to recompile 90% of the project which takes ages. If I can find a way to keep them in a seperate file then I only have to recompile that file.

Well every translation unit will need the definition of the function in order to compile and inline the code, you wont be able to split the function definition and calls across multiple translation units and use inlining.

quote:
Original post by Damocles
Yeah, there''s the kicker - I want to keep the declaration in a header file and the body in a cpp file.

I maintain a globals.h header file that contains the declarations for all global variables and functions which then gets included in almost every new class/file. Saves a lot of time with not having to include a million different headers.
The problem is, if I keep the inlined functions in the header file, then any time I want to make minor changes to the functions, I will have to recompile 90% of the project which takes ages. If I can find a way to keep them in a seperate file then I only have to recompile that file.

You must have missed the point of inline functions, which is that their body gets pasted into the caller code to avoid the cost of setting up a function call, returnin, et cetera. Unfortunately, if the function''s body is pasted into the calling code, then obviously anything that calls it must be recompiled every time it changes ...

quote:

That''s the only way you can do it I''m afraid.

However it should not happen too often, because your inlined functions should not include too much code, this may cause slower or bigger code, or cause the compiler to choose not to inline them (in which case there''s no point).

Mark

quote:
Original post by Damocles

One thing you might be able to do, which I do quite frequently for inlined class member functions, is to define the function body in a .inl file. Then in debug mode included it in a .cpp file so it''s not inlined but in release I include it in the .h file. Something like:

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////

// some header file

int max( int a, int b );

#ifndef _DEBUG
#inlcude "my.inl"
#endif

////////////////////////////////////////////////////

// my.inl file

inline
int max( int a, int b )
{
return a > b ? a : b;
}

////////////////////////////////////////////////////

// notinl.cpp file

#ifdef _DEBUG
#include "my.inl"
#endif

I think this should work. Don''t know that I''ve ever tried it for non class member function, but it definately works for class member functions.

But it should still recompile everything if you change anything.. There''s just no way around it, as others have pointed out already.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!