Java Book

Started by
4 comments, last by Elwren 19 years, 11 months ago
Hi, So I''ve been programming in C++ for the past few years and now I want to reach out and learn Java. Could someone name a few really good Java books that are for people beginning Java, not programming. Thanks!
Advertisement
I''m not sure what you mean by ''not programming'', but the best book I''ve seen for learning Java is Beginning Java by Ivor Horton (Wrox Press). It''s thick, it''s detailed, and he walks you through the creation of a neat little sketcher program across several chapters. I''ve been using Java for various tasks for years, and still consult this book from time to time as a reference. The most recent edition covers JDK 1.4.
Get a book called "Thinking in Java" by Bruce Eckel. Its a good book. Its available free on the internet for download- just google for it. Good luck.
Jon
If you have a good grasp on C++ then learning Java will be pretty easy, the hardest part will be learning the mountain of classes that make up the Java equilavent of the standard library.

Here''s the link for the Bruce Eckel book: clicky
Java tutorial. (java.sun.com)
And unlearn C++ before learning Java.

Almost forgot. Java API docs are very helpful.

[edited by - raghar on May 7, 2004 7:17:20 PM]
I learned J2ME recently (to port a game I wrote from C++ to run on a cell phone)... Anyhow, Java was totally easy to learn, but I realized that I''d still rather use C++...

Here''s why. Java is pretty much a subset of C++. So, you could write C++ that is VERY close to java code (IE, no operator overloading, reference counted smart pointers for everything), and you would have the speed advantage of a compiled language... If you can excercise reasonable self control, you can get all of the benefits of Java, in C++...

Tony

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement