• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

_the_phantom_

ARB_point_sprite on ATI

This topic is 5215 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Just a bit of an infomation post; apprently they have fixed the texture distorting which accures when using point sprites via the ARB extension, the driver its in is on its way down the QA pipeline and should be in the driver release early next month (so 4.6, driver version 8.02). About blimmin time

Advertisement
*sigh* finally.. not that i didnt like my vertex program solution, but as it only worked on ati and i dont have an nvidia to debug id definitely prefer pointsprites (especially since i dont need to send 4 redundant vertices and tons of other stuff).

curious: did they also solve the problems with point sprites and vertex arrays/vbo? immediate mode is performing ok, but i found neither the screwed tex coords on the sprites nor the vpu crashes that great as a feature.

wait... 4.6? i dont recall the first version with ps "support", but 4.2, 4.3, 4.4 and 4.5 before they finally fixed a completely broken extension in 4.6? already curious to read the release notes (just wish they had a version like "fixed feature x" instead of "game x is now running better").

quote:
Original post by Trienco
curious: did they also solve the problems with point sprites and vertex arrays/vbo? immediate mode is performing ok, but i found neither the screwed tex coords on the sprites nor the vpu crashes that great as a feature.

tbh, i dont know, the only test i had was something from codesampler.com which showed the texture distortion. I guess once the drivers come out we can test and find out..

quote:

already curious to read the release notes (just wish they had a version like "fixed feature x" instead of "game x is now running better").

aye, that would be nice, even if it wasnt with the driver and only on website in the dev section

quote:
Original post by _the_phantom_
aye, that would be nice, even if it wasnt with the driver and only on website in the dev section

that might even make me register to get it, because its just useless to read "sonics shoe in game x is now reflecting his hair correctly". am i supposed to look up if sonic is using d3d or opengl, ask the developers WHY the reflection wasnt working and figuring out what exactly the bug was and how they fixed it?

somebody once said ati would be very close to the gamers. i still think if they would be closer to the developers there wouldnt be that much need to be close to the gamers.

some issues just disappear and i can only guess from the descriptions that it _might_ have been why game x had problem y (for example the really strange z/w/fogcoord values on clipped or partially occluded polygons). *sigh* i guess in a perfect world ati would build the hardware and nvidia would write the drivers (and slap the engineers fingers, if they are about to sacrifice a lot of flexibility for a little more speed).

well, guess for now im waiting for 4.5 to show up on the site first.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!