• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

3D Cartoony Characters

This topic is 5041 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''ve done nothing but 2D art up to this point, and I want to give 3D modeling a shot. I really know absolutely nothing about 3D programs but I have access to a lot of them, like Maya. Anyway, this is the idea... I want to create a bunch of simple polygons and connect them with joints. Then I would be able to move the character''s limbs around and take snapshots to create a 2D animation. Can it work like this? I have a feeling it''s not this simple. To give the best example that I can think of, my characters will look blocky/cartoony like Final Fantasy 7, except I''m planning to make them all 2D sprites (I don''t think FF7 did that). Any recommendations of what program I should use? Any oversights to my plan? How easy would this be? Etc. Any info would be nice. Thanks a lot. (the resolution of the game will be 640x480 or 800x600 if that helps at all)

Advertisement
I''d suggest reading a book about whichever 3D editing program you have. What you''re saying is certainly possible - it''s what almost all newer 2D games did.

That is also a very easy way to create smooth, realistic animations compared to manual 2D keyframing.

Every 3D animation program I know has the option to render an animation''s frame sequence to separate, numbered files. It''s really not more difficult than that.

-Nik

• Advertisement