3D Cartoony Characters

Started by
1 comment, last by jason_b 19 years, 11 months ago
I''ve done nothing but 2D art up to this point, and I want to give 3D modeling a shot. I really know absolutely nothing about 3D programs but I have access to a lot of them, like Maya. Anyway, this is the idea... I want to create a bunch of simple polygons and connect them with joints. Then I would be able to move the character''s limbs around and take snapshots to create a 2D animation. Can it work like this? I have a feeling it''s not this simple. To give the best example that I can think of, my characters will look blocky/cartoony like Final Fantasy 7, except I''m planning to make them all 2D sprites (I don''t think FF7 did that). Any recommendations of what program I should use? Any oversights to my plan? How easy would this be? Etc. Any info would be nice. Thanks a lot. (the resolution of the game will be 640x480 or 800x600 if that helps at all)
Advertisement
I''d suggest reading a book about whichever 3D editing program you have. What you''re saying is certainly possible - it''s what almost all newer 2D games did.
That is also a very easy way to create smooth, realistic animations compared to manual 2D keyframing.

Every 3D animation program I know has the option to render an animation''s frame sequence to separate, numbered files. It''s really not more difficult than that.

-Nik

Niko Suni

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement