• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

starboarder

Noob C# Question

This topic is 5217 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I know in c++ you could export the class like this: class _declspec(dllexport) test { public: void func(void); }; How do you export a class in C#? I looks like you dont have to define which class or function you want to export. Is just how u setup your project file? When I created my project I selected "Library" as the type. I have left all the project settings default. It builds the DLL but when I view it with the Dependencies Viewer there are no functions in the dll? Why is that? Is there a way to export your classes in C# to a dll. I believe once I get building the dll correctly I can use what I wrote In C# with C++. Using LoadLibrary() and GetProcAddress().

Advertisement
quote:
How do you export a class in C#?

You don''t

In C# you use the access specifiers. So if a class is marked public then it is accessible by anyone who uses that assembly, which is equivalent to exporting a class in C++. If it is marked as internal then it can only be used inside by code inside of that assembly.

quote:
I believe once I get building the dll correctly I can use what I wrote In C# with C++. Using LoadLibrary() and GetProcAddress().

Nope. All you have to do is add a reference to the assembly in your project (assuming you''re using managed C++, I''m sure sure about when you''re using unmanaged C++).

quote:
Original post by starboarder
I believe once I get building the dll correctly I can use what I wrote In C# with C++. Using LoadLibrary() and GetProcAddress().

No. C# cannot create standard DLL exports. Currently, only Managed C++ and Delphi.NET of the .NET languages can do this.

If you want your C# assembly to be accessed from unmanaged C/C++, you need to do it through COM. The tlbexp utility will take a C# assembly and create a COM typelib out of all the public classes in that assembly. Those classes can then be used in C++ as any other COM object - IUnknown comes for free, I believe, but if you want IDispatch as well you need to apply some special attributes to your assembly. Check documentation for more details. Keywords to look for are "interop" and/or "COM interop".

--
AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.
[Project site] [Blog] [RSS] [Browse the source] [IRC channel]

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!