• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Game Engine

This topic is 5034 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello all, this is my first post. I am currently a student, and just heard about this web site. Well here is my issue. I am currently working on making my first 3D Game Engine. I am getting very frustrated at the moment. I am trying to make a tree that controls many, children and is able to move, from child to child, and to the parent and so on. I am doing it in Direct X. How do you keep from getting frustrated. What books do you recomend. Currently I have the book Creating Role Playing games using Direct X 3D by Jim Adams.

Advertisement
quote:
Original post by BFett88 How do you keep from getting frustrated.

Programming is very frustrating. Here's some tips that have helped me and may help you:

* Move to a foreign location to program. For me, it was moving to the kitchen table away from the Internet, TV, and any other distractions.

* If you listen to music, keep it to relaxing + classical music or none at all. Also, voices in music can be very distracting.

* When you're stressed, get something to eat and walk away from you're computer. Design solutions to your problem on paper while you're away. Monitors can be stressful on the eye.

quote:
Original post by BFett88 What books do you recomend.

Code Complete - McConnell
Tricks of the Windows Game Pragramming Gurus - LaMothe

DirectX books tend to be specific to techniques and not to general gameplay - for obvious reasons. Jim Adam's Role Playing Book was decent, however, because there was a variety of information presented throughout the book.

[edited by - vnillabrent on May 7, 2004 11:19:48 PM]

Here''s a list of books that I''ve found really helpful in more then one way.

As for keeping from getting frustrated... No idea how to get rid of it, it will happen a lot. The advice given above is prety good. Except for being on a computer away from the internet. I find that having the internet available while programming is a big help for many reasons. You can gather a list of game dev buddies on msn or something and if you have a question you can ask. Then google is probably your best friend while programming too.

| TripleBuffer Software |
| Plug-in Manager :: DX Utility Engine :: C++ Debug Kit :: DirectX Tutorials :: Awesome Books |

A 3D engine should not be one of your first programming endeavors. It requires knowledge of 3D math and data structures, as well as a host of other computer science concepts.

I think that you should have years of programming experience before attempting one. Start small. Also, it''s good to have a way to test new functions and whatnot by themselves, outside of your entire program.

I have been programming in C++ for about a year and a half now. I understand the basics and the intermediate stuff good. Advanced stuff fairley well. I have an associates degree in Computer programming, it is not much but it is something. I am currently going to a tech school for my bachelors degree in Video Game Programming. We are currently making a 3D game engine in class and it is the hardest thing I have ever done. I still have about a year and a half until I have my degree.

Thank you for all of your help.

About the frustration, have a good nap (10 or 20 minutes) then wake up, spritz your face in water. Suddenly your mind becomes clearer (well for me it helped quite a lot).

Also, frequent breaks help. Talk to a friend about the frustrating problem e.g. about the coding problem at hand.

HTH.

If I get frustrated with a single problem or class, I usually go and work on something else. That keeps me going and once I start coding and thinking about other things, I get much more relaxed and optimistic, and it actually helps me to program the original solution.

• Advertisement