Where do I get started with direct x?

Started by
5 comments, last by adampunk 19 years, 11 months ago
Ive been all over game programming for all languages and wanted to know how direct x is. Do I need a compiler for direct x or is it run through C++. Any beginner tutorials that you know of would be awesome.
Advertisement
Check out the FAQ. It will answer tons of your questions.

[edited by - circlesoft on May 7, 2004 11:15:01 PM]
Dustin Franklin ( circlesoft :: KBase :: Mystic GD :: ApolloNL )
quote:Original post by adampunk
Ive been all over game programming for all languages and wanted to know how direct x is. Do I need a compiler for direct x or is it run through C++. Any beginner tutorials that you know of would be awesome.

you dont get started with DirectX. you get started with nice conforming Open standards such as OpenGL/OpenAL.
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster

you dont get started with DirectX. you get started with nice conforming Open standards such as OpenGL/OpenAL.

You know...you are clueless.

Muhammad Haggag,
Optimize
Bitwise account: MHaggag -

you should read the following: http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article1775.asp

Quote: "If you plan to go specifically into the games industry, you would be wise to learn both D3D and OGL."

scio me nihil scire
Ceterum censeo, carthaginem delendam esse

[edited by - Hauptman on May 8, 2004 5:41:31 AM]
Hope is the first step on the road of disappointment
quote:Original post by Hauptman
Quote: "If you plan to go specifically into the games industry, you would be wise to learn both D3D and OGL."
If you want to get into the graphics industry, you should have great knowledge of graphics theory, so that the API''s are just that: API''s. If you know the foundations of what DX and OGL are built on, then it should be no problem for you to implement them. However, if you jump into either without any graphics knowledge, you''re going to have problems.
Dustin Franklin ( circlesoft :: KBase :: Mystic GD :: ApolloNL )

I started with DirectDraw before I had ever gotten OpenGL or straight GDI to work.

I would suggest starting simple and go with GDI. I''m no MS fanatic but OpenGL really didn''t impress me much.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement