VS6 vs VS.NET 2003

Started by
36 comments, last by chaosflare 19 years, 11 months ago
What exactly resides in that msvcr71.dll?

I''ve been having the problem recently too, that one program (using SDL) needed it, whereas another (Win32, using Dialogs) didn''t.

The dependency viewer shows some exception stuff, basic file stuff and some other basic c functions. I found it strange that the other didn''t need the dll.

I have a similar "problem" with msvcp71.dll, which seems to contain some functions used for the STL (allocators and stuff). I''ve been using STL string and list in both projects, but only one needs it. Does anybody know which functions actually depend on that dll?

back to topic: Studio .NET 2003 in any case. Forget Studio 6. It''s old. You''ll never look back.

Fruny: Ftagn! Ia! Ia! std::time_put_byname! Mglui naflftagn std::codecvt eY'ha-nthlei!,char,mbstate_t>

Advertisement
quote:Original post by _the_phantom_
Oh, and VS.Net03 rocks my world, i used to like the VS6 IDE then i used this IDE, blows it out of the water, granted take a bit of getting used to coming from VS6 but its worth sticking to it (throw something like Visual AssistX into the mix for better color coding/code completion and its programming heaven)
ROFL, try out some Java IDE like IntelliJ Idea and you''ll realize there are two kinds of IDEs: Good Java IDEs and notepad-clones. Saying any C++ IDE is a programming heaven is funny.. And sad. VS.NET 2003 even with Visual Assist is truly horrid in comparison, really.
quote:Original post by Endurion
What exactly resides in that msvcr71.dll?
I have a similar "problem" with msvcp71.dll

The two dlls in question are the C-runtine and the C++ Runtime, they contine functions which iirc are needed for your program to interact properly with the host operating system (such as when you call ''new'') as to which one is required, well it depends what function calls you make use of and which linking model you use.

If you dont link to the DLL runtimes then you''ll get the code linked staticaly into your exe and wont need those DLLs at all.

quote:Original post by Interim
If you''re really cheap, Microsoft released the Visual C++ Tool Kit. It''s the same compiler you get with VS.NET, but free and without the IDE. This with the SDK is pretty much all you need. Not always pretty though.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/vctoolkit2003/

Thanks for that!!

Just FYI I found that it can happily compile makefiles exported from projects made with vc6 - well, release build at least has no problems.
This is ideal for me, I prefer using the vs6 ide but I want release builds to be optimal.
AP:
"VC6.0 IDE is a great, simple IDE, but VC.NET2003 is a great compiler, anyone knows if its possible to use VC.NET2k3 compiler (vctoolkit2003) with VC6.0 IDE ? I mean, substitute the vs6 compiler by the .net2k3, only the c/c++ compiler, not .net,c# and other things."

Good question. Anyone?
I''d like a compiler that fixes the VS6 bugs, but I''m just a
hobbyist who gets paid next to nil and can''t afford the price
for the whole shibang. Besides, I''ve already paid for a broken
VS6. Why should I have to shell out more money for the fixes?

-Hyatus
"da da da"
quote:Original post by Hyatus
AP:
"VC6.0 IDE is a great, simple IDE, but VC.NET2003 is a great compiler, anyone knows if its possible to use VC.NET2k3 compiler (vctoolkit2003) with VC6.0 IDE ? I mean, substitute the vs6 compiler by the .net2k3, only the c/c++ compiler, not .net,c# and other things."

VS.NET 2003 is not a compiler. It is "only" a IDE.

-----------------
SloGameDev.net :: Slovenian Game Developers network

Q:What does a derived class in C# tell to it''s parent?
A:All your base are belong to us!
-----------------SloGameDev.net | My homepageQ:What does a derived class in C# tell to it's parent?A:All your base are belong to us!
I hear people complaining about the .NET redistributable that is big and necessary to run .NET apps. But I don''t hear those people complain about the Java VM that is necessary to run Java apps. Same thing.

---
tommy online: http://users.pandora.be/tommycarlier
CWIZO:

That wasn''t my quote, but I understood what he meant.
Still, semantics aside, is it possible?

-Hyatus
"da da da"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement