• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

luskan

ps_2_a compiler profile

This topic is 5301 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I have ATI 9800 and I am wondering if ps_2_a can be accessed in any way - DX returns me ps_2_0 as the higher shader profile, but I read that ATI 9500 returns ps_2_a. I would really like to put more instructions into my pixel shader. thanks for any help,

Advertisement
The correct profile for an ATI 9800 is ps_2_0. The 9500 should not return ps_2_a, since that profile is intended for geForceFX type hardware.

xyzzy

My Radeon 9600 PRO seems to be able to handle pixel shaders with 512 instructions, compiled under the ps_2_a path. When I compile my shaders under ps_2_a, I can definately exceed the 96 instruction limit, so I guess both the 9600 and 9800 can handle upto 512 instructions.

are you using effects framework to set shaders? - because this is what I do - I will have to try with manually compiled shader, and check if that works. I read on beyond3d that by switching off validation and just sending shaders to video card it is possible to run longer shaders than DX normally allows. I have not tried this - maybe it makes use of F-Buffer then??

I use HLSL. Some of my shaders, including DOF and HDR Rendering require more than 96 instructions in my implementation of the Gaussian Filter. By switching to the ps_2_a profile, I'm now using close to 120 instructions (I even tried a test shader with about 500 instructions and it worked fine).

quote:

maybe it makes use of F-Buffer then??

I know that the 9800 comes equiped with an F-Buffer, but the 9600 still uses SmartShader 2.0 without F-Buffer technology. ATI probably decided to put it in the 9600 as an easter-egg!

[edited by - poly-gone on May 8, 2004 10:28:10 PM]

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!