• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Aph3x

Sound system design

This topic is 5303 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all, I''m starting to add sound to my game and wondered if anyone has any experience in this department, specifically on the actual determination of when objects emit sounds? I''ve come up with what I think are two plausible approaches: With R = candidate render set of objects in the camera locality. 1. Every frame have some prioritiser class determine which objects in R will emit noises and at what priority. 2. Every object emits their sounds every update, which are stored in the sound system, then processed (every frame?) to determine which to play. Can anyone comment on experience with similar approaches, or suggest any other ideas?

Advertisement
In fact, is writing a sound system really hard, or am I missing something here?!!

Sounds are normally triggered by events. (Gun firing,collision with a wall,buttons being pushed). On top of that, you may have ambient sounds to complete the soundscape. Your game should detect such events, and play the corresponding sound effect.

Sound is pretty easy, and event driven as the above poster said. You might need some sort of culling system to avoid playing sounds too distant to be audible but in the 30 or so games I''ve written, the most complex it got was storing a sound effect number with each enemy type.

Mark
Ever wanted to command a starship?
http://www.lostinflatspace.com

Perhaps I''m striving for too much efficiency here or something..?
I think I can do the one-shot sound event stuff ok.

My main problem though is catering for the looping sounds that need to be updated (e.g. position change), their allocation to channels (priority mechanism) and their persistence (don''t want to restart them when e.g. the camera switches to another object).

E.g. for my aircraft I can have a looping engine noise + a few other looping sounds for different engine levels (sort of scripting), then extra sounds for undercarriage events (updated but not looping), cargo jettison etc.
So my sound system will have to assign these sounds plus the sounds of other nearby vehicles, all to a limited set of sources.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!