• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Davaris

Please Test Our Game

This topic is 5278 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey Everyone, I was wondering if some of you could test our demo and tell us what you think of it. What I am interested in is how easy it is to learn and whether it is fun or not. You can get the demo here: http://www.ausgamedev.com/omegasyndrome/files.html Screen shots are here: http://www.ausgamedev.com/omegasyndrome/scrn_shots.html I am considering making the combat turn based as I think it will make the game easier and increase the length of play. What do you think?

Advertisement
Tried it out, and it''s very fallout like (which, of course, is a good thing). The combat is ok like it is, but adding a turned based mode so that people can chose how to play wouldn''t do any harm. I thought it was easy to learn how to play, but then I''ve played fallout a lot. As for it being fun, the demo isn''t very long, so it''s not very easy to tell, but it seemed like things would become fun.

It would be good if you added keyboard shortcuts for opening the map and inventory and such. M - map, I - inventory, C - character etc.

Also, dragging stuff in the inventory acted a bit weird at times.

As for the price, I don''t really know. There are a lot of games sold att that price that''s just small puzzle games, but there are also older big games available for that price (you can buy fallout 1&2 in a bundle for about that price). I don''t think raising it to $19 US would be a problem, but I''m not a marketing guy, so don''t expect me to know anything about it...

Thanks for testing it Jolle.

"Tried it out, and it's very fallout like (which, of course, is a good thing). "

I am a big Fallout fan so I used their rules much as possible. However that's where the similarity ends. The story is very much X-Files.

"Also, dragging stuff in the inventory acted a bit weird at times."

What happened with the dragging in the inventory?

I was thinking of creating three scenarios for that demo level. I could let the player start with different weapons and make the creatures behave differently. Do you think this would make the demo better?

[edited by - Davaris on May 8, 2004 6:51:04 PM]

[edited by - Davaris on May 8, 2004 9:50:29 PM]

About the dragging: If I simply pressed down the mouse button on an item and started dragging, lots of times nothing happened, and sometimes another item on the screen was dragged instead. I kind of had to wait until I saw that the item was being held by the mouse before I did something more.

About the idea for the demo: I think that would be a good idea.

Jolle:

"About the dragging: If I simply pressed down the mouse button on an item and started dragging, lots of times nothing happened,"

Yeah thats supposed to happen. You press and hold and when it starts to make a fist it will collect whatever it is pointing at.

It used to be set up the way it was done in Fallout, but I was told that right clicking to change between grab and command mode was too much work.

Jeese they''re a slack lot here at GameDev. 200 hundred views on this thread and you are the only one who bothered to test the demo. Oh well...

I tried to download it a few days ago but the download speed was so slow, around 3-5k/sec on my 10mbit connection. I didn''t have the patience to wait I give it another go now...

-----------------------------

Hmm ok, I''ve tested it now

I think it was sort of okay. It could have been better and it could have been worse
I like the help boxes that tell different things, it was easy to get the hang of the interface. The comic style pictures are nice too. But I am having the same problems with the inventory, sometimes nothing happens when I want to drag an object. Also I don''t see the use of having specific slots for different items in the inventory. Is it to limit the amount certain items that can be carried?

The blip sound when a new message is displayed in the small text window in the lower left corner is annoying after a while. I think more real-life sounds would be good too, like when searching bodies or moving inventory items from one slot to another. Also some ambient sounds instead of music would be nice.

The graphics are quite good, but the engine that shows the graphics looks a bit dated. The revealing of the map when you walk around looks a bit dithered and noisy; an alpha channel would have been nice. I know that it takes quite a lot of work to re-do the graphics engine - I’m just saying what I saw.

Overall it was quite good. But the fun factor could be higher if it was more polished.

-----------------------------

Thanks Herr_O:

"I tried to download it a few days ago but the download speed was so slow, around 3-5k/sec on my 10mbit connection. "

That is not good about the download speed. Thanks for telling me about that.

"But I am having the same problems with the inventory, sometimes nothing happens when I want to drag an object."

Hmmm... So you point at an object and press and hold the left mouse button down and it doesn''t pick it up? It works on every computer I''ve tested it on. I hate it when that happens!

"Also I don''t see the use of having specific slots for different items in the inventory. Is it to limit the amount certain items that can be carried?"

The big slot on the left is stuff you have in your bag. You can have as much as you can carry in there. The items in the small slots are equipped or on your person. For instance if the armour is not in the armour slot, you are not wearing it and are not protected by it. Watch your Armour Class change as you drop the armour into the armour slot. The weapon slots are points on your body where you can hang your weapons so you can switch between them without a time penalty in the encounter screen. Items are the same.

"bodies or moving inventory items from one slot to another. Also some ambient sounds instead of music would be nice."

Yeah I''ve had to keep the sounds to a minimum as download size is a big issue if you want to sell over the net. 80% of people on the net still use modems (including me).

"The graphics are quite good, but the engine that shows the graphics looks a bit dated."

Heh! You should see my competition! www.spiderwebsoftware.com
He is very successful (employs 3 people) and he kills me on content. I''ll have to work on that.

So what did you mean by dated? Was it just the fog of war? Or was there something else?

"The revealing of the map when you walk around looks a bit dithered and noisy; an alpha channel would have been nice. I know that it takes quite a lot of work to re-do the graphics engine - I’m just saying what I saw."

I might look into alpha blending. But the other issue with selling a game on the net is it has to be able to run on every computer out there. Fast or slow.

Anyway thanks for the feedback Herr_O. It was really helpful. I''ll rewrite the instructions for the tutorial based on what you''ve said. And I''ll see if I can figure out what is wrong with the Inventory drag and drop.

Herr_O:

I just had a look at your site. Cool looking games! I can''t DL them because I am on a 56k modem. Oh well...

We should email each other and talk shop. I am always keen to learn how to sell things over the net.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!