• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please Test Our Game

This topic is 5002 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey Everyone, I was wondering if some of you could test our demo and tell us what you think of it. What I am interested in is how easy it is to learn and whether it is fun or not. You can get the demo here: http://www.ausgamedev.com/omegasyndrome/files.html Screen shots are here: http://www.ausgamedev.com/omegasyndrome/scrn_shots.html I am considering making the combat turn based as I think it will make the game easier and increase the length of play. What do you think?

Advertisement
I was also wondering what you think of the price. Currently it is set at $15.95 US

Tried it out, and it''s very fallout like (which, of course, is a good thing). The combat is ok like it is, but adding a turned based mode so that people can chose how to play wouldn''t do any harm. I thought it was easy to learn how to play, but then I''ve played fallout a lot. As for it being fun, the demo isn''t very long, so it''s not very easy to tell, but it seemed like things would become fun.

It would be good if you added keyboard shortcuts for opening the map and inventory and such. M - map, I - inventory, C - character etc.

Also, dragging stuff in the inventory acted a bit weird at times.

As for the price, I don''t really know. There are a lot of games sold att that price that''s just small puzzle games, but there are also older big games available for that price (you can buy fallout 1&2 in a bundle for about that price). I don''t think raising it to $19 US would be a problem, but I''m not a marketing guy, so don''t expect me to know anything about it...

Thanks for testing it Jolle.

"Tried it out, and it's very fallout like (which, of course, is a good thing). "

I am a big Fallout fan so I used their rules much as possible. However that's where the similarity ends. The story is very much X-Files.

"Also, dragging stuff in the inventory acted a bit weird at times."

What happened with the dragging in the inventory?

I was thinking of creating three scenarios for that demo level. I could let the player start with different weapons and make the creatures behave differently. Do you think this would make the demo better?

[edited by - Davaris on May 8, 2004 6:51:04 PM]

[edited by - Davaris on May 8, 2004 9:50:29 PM]

About the dragging: If I simply pressed down the mouse button on an item and started dragging, lots of times nothing happened, and sometimes another item on the screen was dragged instead. I kind of had to wait until I saw that the item was being held by the mouse before I did something more.

About the idea for the demo: I think that would be a good idea.

Jolle:

"About the dragging: If I simply pressed down the mouse button on an item and started dragging, lots of times nothing happened,"

Yeah thats supposed to happen. You press and hold and when it starts to make a fist it will collect whatever it is pointing at.

It used to be set up the way it was done in Fallout, but I was told that right clicking to change between grab and command mode was too much work.

Jeese they''re a slack lot here at GameDev. 200 hundred views on this thread and you are the only one who bothered to test the demo. Oh well...

I tried to download it a few days ago but the download speed was so slow, around 3-5k/sec on my 10mbit connection. I didn''t have the patience to wait I give it another go now...

-----------------------------

Hmm ok, I''ve tested it now

I think it was sort of okay. It could have been better and it could have been worse
I like the help boxes that tell different things, it was easy to get the hang of the interface. The comic style pictures are nice too. But I am having the same problems with the inventory, sometimes nothing happens when I want to drag an object. Also I don''t see the use of having specific slots for different items in the inventory. Is it to limit the amount certain items that can be carried?

The blip sound when a new message is displayed in the small text window in the lower left corner is annoying after a while. I think more real-life sounds would be good too, like when searching bodies or moving inventory items from one slot to another. Also some ambient sounds instead of music would be nice.

The graphics are quite good, but the engine that shows the graphics looks a bit dated. The revealing of the map when you walk around looks a bit dithered and noisy; an alpha channel would have been nice. I know that it takes quite a lot of work to re-do the graphics engine - I’m just saying what I saw.

Overall it was quite good. But the fun factor could be higher if it was more polished.

Thanks Herr_O:

"I tried to download it a few days ago but the download speed was so slow, around 3-5k/sec on my 10mbit connection. "

That is not good about the download speed. Thanks for telling me about that.

"But I am having the same problems with the inventory, sometimes nothing happens when I want to drag an object."

Hmmm... So you point at an object and press and hold the left mouse button down and it doesn''t pick it up? It works on every computer I''ve tested it on. I hate it when that happens!

"Also I don''t see the use of having specific slots for different items in the inventory. Is it to limit the amount certain items that can be carried?"

The big slot on the left is stuff you have in your bag. You can have as much as you can carry in there. The items in the small slots are equipped or on your person. For instance if the armour is not in the armour slot, you are not wearing it and are not protected by it. Watch your Armour Class change as you drop the armour into the armour slot. The weapon slots are points on your body where you can hang your weapons so you can switch between them without a time penalty in the encounter screen. Items are the same.

"bodies or moving inventory items from one slot to another. Also some ambient sounds instead of music would be nice."

Yeah I''ve had to keep the sounds to a minimum as download size is a big issue if you want to sell over the net. 80% of people on the net still use modems (including me).

"The graphics are quite good, but the engine that shows the graphics looks a bit dated."

Heh! You should see my competition! www.spiderwebsoftware.com
He is very successful (employs 3 people) and he kills me on content. I''ll have to work on that.

So what did you mean by dated? Was it just the fog of war? Or was there something else?

"The revealing of the map when you walk around looks a bit dithered and noisy; an alpha channel would have been nice. I know that it takes quite a lot of work to re-do the graphics engine - I’m just saying what I saw."

I might look into alpha blending. But the other issue with selling a game on the net is it has to be able to run on every computer out there. Fast or slow.

Anyway thanks for the feedback Herr_O. It was really helpful. I''ll rewrite the instructions for the tutorial based on what you''ve said. And I''ll see if I can figure out what is wrong with the Inventory drag and drop.

Herr_O:

I just had a look at your site. Cool looking games! I can''t DL them because I am on a 56k modem. Oh well...

We should email each other and talk shop. I am always keen to learn how to sell things over the net.

quote:
Original post by Davaris
So what did you mean by dated? Was it just the fog of war? Or was there something else?

No nothing else... that was just what I meant with dated, the "fog of war". No flashy alpha channel

quote:
Original post by Davaris
Hmmm... So you point at an object and press and hold the left mouse button down and it doesn''t pick it up?

Jepp, that is the problem. But I get the inventory now that you explained it... Didn''t realize the big bag thing on the left.

I use BMT micro for my online shop. They supply CDs via snail mail for modem users if they request it in the order form. Though I admit, the demo may be a bit of a drag to download. Modem users will just have to buy a gaming magazine with the demo on the CD/DVD

But I''m not a marketing guy, I do this for fun so my selling figures are down at the rock-bottom right now.

My new project will be isometric based and singleplayer only. I''m thinking of releasing it for free, haven''t decided yet.

…One more thing about the inventory problem. It seems to arise more often when I am moving the mouse and I click/drag the item at the same time. But I am not certain... most often there are no problems at all.

And as said above, I think turn based combat would not hurt the game play, implement it now! =)

"No nothing else... that was just what I meant with dated, the "fog of war". No flashy alpha channel"

The thing about the fog of war is it is supposed to be black so you can't see the sections you haven't explored. It has a transparent section for areas you have explored but have moved out of range of. It is more noticeable when you are outside. Press the New Mission button and you will be able to romp around outside.

"It seems to arise more often when I am moving the mouse and I click/drag the item at the same time. But I am not certain... most often there are no problems at all."

I think what might be happening is you are clicking down on it and then moving the cursor off it before the timer detects you are in 'hold the mouse button down mode'. What I'll do is shave another 20 ms off the mouse timer and see how it goes. I have to pick the gap carefully, because some (slower) people will not be able to up click on the mouse fast enough for the engine to detect an up click event.

"But I'm not a marketing guy, I do this for fun so my selling figures are down at the rock-bottom right now.":

I've recently learned that most of the people on download sites have no intention of buying. Oh well... I'll have to get on those Compilation and Magazine CD ROMs. However I am reluctant to release it to magazines at the moment because I'm worried about getting a bad review.

"And as said above, I think turn based combat would not hurt the game play, implement it now! =)"

I might put a forum on my site and get people to vote on the turn based combat thing because I am so lazy. At the moment I don't think the demo is large enough to convince people there is a great game to play. So I'll work on getting a larger demo level made. I'll have to start whipping my artist again. I'll give the player heaps of ammo for the Uzi and let him loose on huge crowds of evil inmates beyond the black door.

[edited by - Davaris on May 10, 2004 11:50:22 PM]

Guest Anonymous Poster
The game has some nice bits, but it needs a lot of polish. I jotted down some notes while playing:

The EULA. I don''t think I''ve seen an EULA for a game demo before. Few of the (full) games on my shelf have an EULA. This was surprising. And I don''t think it''s a very good one. It''s HARSH. Half of the stuff mentioned is already covered by existing laws (typically copyright laws), and the other stuff specifically prevents the demo from propagating (only one machine, no redistribution, etc). I imagine you would want people to copy and share the demo, to help spread it around.

The character creation screen:
I have a mouse wheel on my system. When I highlight one of the text items (I think it was the dt/dr label), and spin the mouse wheel, the machine beeps repeatedly.

Once you tag a skill, the number goes up, but otherwise it''s not clear what skills are tagged. There is a tiny asterik that appears after the number, but it''s not clear that this means tagged. Also, the button remains ''tag'' rather than ''untag'' or graying out.

The main game:
The default view screen is tiny. It doesn''t set itself up based on the monitor default resolution. Not a big deal. It could also prompt the user to put in the right resolution when it first runs.

The screen resolution screen just lists tiny, medium, large, etc - it should provide numbers here as well.

Even on large, the view area appears to only stretchin teh vertical direction. I ended up with some wide black bands ont eh sides of the screen that were wasted space. Also, portraying a landscape usually means a view that is wider than it is tall. Having a tall narrow view was less attractive.

I saw the graphics ripple when I scrolled all the way to the left, and again all the way down during the training bit.

The overhead speeches were ok, if plain. The background color of the letters doesn''t extend around the letters completely, so the text doesn''t look well integrated. Having them appear in a word balloon would be nice, or making the background of the text transparent would be ok too.

The transparency is a bit weak. Maybe use a 75% transparent dither instead of 50%.

The main character:
Slides a little when walking. Not a big thing, but it''s noticeable.

The description when examining self is: you look nice in your suit (or similar). When the player equips armor neither the image or text description changes. I feel funny walking around in a nice suit with a leather jacket on top. Just changing the text would be sufficient.

There were no notes or help text for leveling up. I knew what to do more or less since I''ve played Fallout, but there should be some help text since you''ve got the screen space.

The hero graphics were otherwise very nice.

The interface:

The interface at the bottom of the screen is only so so.

Using analog dials is good. I''m not sure that a speedometer is the best. When I glance at the health dial, my eye catches the brightly colored stripe and it takes me a second to find the needle. It would be nice if the needle position reinforced the intuitive sense of how much health is left. I suggest keeping it mostly the same, but making the gage cover only 1/2 of a circle, with full health at the top and dead when the needle is pointing straight down.

This would also free up the other half of the circle to display an image of the hero''s body that could be colored in by location if it suffers damage. As it is, you won''t know your arm is damaged unless you look at the character screen.

The script on the row of buttons along the top was a little hard to read. Minor.

On the large view area setting, the interface overlaps the view area and it looks like it is covering things up. This would be ok if there was also some gfx to the sides framing the view area, but I kept wanting the push it out of the way. Minor.

I could not figure out what the box in the lower middle of the interface was.

Trade screen:
The dialog with the blue beret fellow in the training bit doesn''t have a dialog option to go to the trade screen. I missed the button at teh bottom of the screen because my eyes were reading the text in the middle. There ought to be both the button and a dialog choice.

The trade screen doesn''t function very intuitively. The original fallout used the space in the middle to represent negotiation. When the dollar amounts were the same, you could trade. There does not appear to be a need for this when you are trading with friends, since you can exchange whatever you wish.

Inventory:
A paper doll would be nice.

Also, the weapon description box has a downscroll arrow that didn''t seem to do anything.

Loading a weapon with bullets caused the ammo inventory item to split (two diffeerent ammo items appeared).

Like the other folks mentioned, the delay on dragging the items was a pain. If I click and hold down the mouse button, that should be enough to drag an item around. If I click and let up, then the item should be selected, but not carried around with the mouse.

The abbreviations in the weapon decription screen are unclear. Useful for the developer since you know what they all mean, but for the player they should be written out.

Gameplay:
Weapons don''t autoload when you are outside of combat and pickup ammo. I would expect that picking up ammo would auto-load a weapon in my hands even without selecting the autoload gameplay option. It would be nice to have a load weapon button somewhere on the main screen - I didn''t find one.

After killing a goon, the hero was standing over the enemy body (melee). I went to use a health pack on myself and it was difficult to select the hero - the game kept wanting to select the dead goon (wasted a health pack that way). Using a health pack on a dead enemy (arguably any enemy) should not be allowed (enemies and dead things should be filtered from the selection)

Using a key at the end of the training demo was difficult. I tried dragging the key to the door - no good. I tried clicking on the key, then the door - no good, I just walked over to it. After a few tries something finally worked, but I''m not sure what I did. I''m sure I would figure it out the second or third time I tried to use an object, so consider it minor unless someone else reports the same problems.

I did not understand how to get the machine gun to autofire.

The enemies:
Lotsa naked people (and aliens). Must get mighty cold in the woods with no pants.

The art style:
The game doesn''t seem to have a consistent style for the artwork. The interface looks like an RC car. The character, inventory, and trade screens look like a computer hacker game (old-school green on green with a plain font). It doesn''t quite hang together, although the individual elements are good.

Overall, not bad, it just needs a little more user testing and fine tuning. It was interesting enough to play through the whole demo and I wanted to keep going when it was done.

Then there is the problem with

The writing:
It''s bad. Really bad. It''s not like you need a really good story, just something that kinda hangs together and provides excuses for the player to do the various quests. But what you''ve got is a mess.

First, there are three different starting points. Your boss says go see the NPC and I''m not telling you why. wtf? It would be nice if you told me why, but if you absolutely can''t, then don''t bring it to my attention that you''re not telling me why. You;re shooting yourself in the foot when you point the holes in your plot.

Then the hero meets with NPC ... whomever. None of the guards will talk to you, and the NPC babbles a lot. We''re infiltrating an enemy base. We''ve got trained marines to do this. You;re here....for no good reason. Nothing else to do on this screen.

Then the game starts a third time, when the chopper goes down. wtf? Why was the second bit even necessary?

Then, wandering up the road to the city, I''m assaulted by all manner of strange creatures. I can understand if there are giant mutated ants around, or space aliens, or whatever. But why are there also space aliens, infected people, mad cultists, etc etc all in the same area at the same time? It''s like a festival out here in these woods.

Then I get to the town and it''s guarded by 3 mooks standing behind a barrel. And the first thing I ask is where can I buy weapons and explosives, and they say, just down the block. Wasn''t there a facility around here that I am supposed to blow up what happened to it? Who are all these people, and why do these folks think its regular to have an armed camp out here?

Umm. Err. Look, these setting elements worked in Fallout because it was a post-apocalyptic world. They don''t work in a modern era. Where they have things like telephones. And area maps that can be purchased at the local quickie-mart for cheap. Where the army has at least tens of thousands of well equipped troops at its disposal. And there are television crews who would descend like a plague to cover the story of the space aliens and giant ants.

In summary:
I liked the gameplay. A bit of refinement and it would be a lot of fun. But the story needs rework, and for the kind of game you are making, having consistent story elements is crucial.

Would I pay $15 for a good Fallout ripoff? Yes.
Would I buy this game for $15? Not yet.

HTH,
Anon

Man that was a huge post. Thanks for taking the time. I really appreciate it.

>The screen resolution screen just lists tiny, medium, large, etc - it should provide numbers here as well.

The screen doesn't stretch. It just clips what is displayed. It was done this way so people with really old machines such as P200's could play the game. I'll take a look at those odd screen dimensions you mentioned.

>Just changing the text would be sufficient.

Good one. I'll fix this.

>There were no notes or help text for leveling up.

Did you press the button at the top of the screen marked with a question mark? The info in there changes depending on the screen you are using.

>This would also free up the other half of the circle to display an image of the hero's body that could be colored in by location if it suffers damage. As it is, you won't know your arm is damaged unless you look at the character screen.

That's a good idea.

>I could not figure out what the box in the lower middle of the interface was.

Press on the button marked with a question mark to open the help panel. Then point at a feature on the interface and a description will appear.

>The dialog with the blue beret fellow in the training bit doesn't have a dialog option to go to the trade screen. I missed the button at teh bottom of the screen because my eyes were reading the text in the middle.

That's a good point.

>Loading a weapon with bullets caused the ammo inventory item to split (two diffeerent ammo items appeared).

Yeah thats supposed to happen. Items that are identical are grouped together.

>Like the other folks mentioned, the delay on dragging the items was a pain. If I click and hold down the mouse button, that should be enough to drag an item around. If I click and let up, then the item should be selected, but not carried around with the mouse.

When you click and let up on some items you will unload them or use them. I used to have two separate modes for the mouse like Fallout, one for drag and drop and one for use or unload. But people complained it was a pain to have to change modes using the right mouse button. One thing I've learned with this testing process is you can't please everyone.

>The abbreviations in the weapon decription screen are unclear. Useful for the developer since you know what they all mean, but for the player they should be written out.

That's a good one.

>gameplay option. It would be nice to have a load weapon button somewhere on the main screen - I didn't find one.

Press the ? button at the top of the screen and point at the weapon slot.

>Using a health pack on a dead enemy (arguably any enemy) should not be allowed (enemies and dead things should be filtered from the selection)

Good one.

>Then, wandering up the road to the city, I'm assaulted by all manner of strange creatures. I can understand if there are giant mutated ants around, or space aliens, or whatever. But why are there also space aliens, infected people, mad cultists, etc etc all in the same area at the same time? It's like a festival out here in these woods.

Hehehehehehe... Thats the random encounters. As you play the game you will learn why all of these wierdos are running loose in and around the town.

>Using a key at the end of the training demo was difficult. I tried dragging the key to the door - no good. I tried clicking on the key, then the door - no good,

Yeah same thing again. The ? button reveals all.

>I did not understand how to get the machine gun to autofire.

The ? button

>The art style:
The game doesn't seem to have a consistent style for the artwork. The interface looks like an RC car. The character, inventory, and trade screens look like a computer hacker game>(old-school green on green with a plain font). It doesn't quite hang together, although the individual elements are good.

The game's interface is a hand held computer that you take into the field. I'm hoping to get my artist to make a sketch of it so people can see it when they read the description of the field unit in the 'ACCESS MAINFRAME' area. The curved silver part is the top of the interface. The computer screen is just underneath and its display changes depending on what area you have accessed.

>Umm. Err. Look, these setting elements worked in Fallout because it was a post-apocalyptic world. They don't work in a modern era. Where they have things like telephones. And area maps that can be purchased at the local quickie-mart for cheap. Where the army has at least tens of thousands of well equipped troops at its disposal. And there are television crews who would descend like a plague to cover the story of the space aliens and giant ants.

I can see your point about the plot but it all becomes clear when you play the game. Part of the game play is learning why things are the way they are in the town.

The town is under quarantine. I got the idea for part of the plot from a movie called Outbreak. The town was surrounded by troops and no one was allowed in or out for fear of a dooms day virus spreading into the general population. If the press approached the area they were given a cover story and were warned to stay away. If they ignored the warnings they were jailed. If anyone attempted to leave the town they were shot.

So the plot is a cross between the Roswell incident, the movie Outbreak and of course the X-Files.

>Would I pay $15 for a good Fallout ripoff? Yes.
>Would I buy this game for $15? Not yet.

So you're saying this is almost a good ripoff? Hehehehe... Thanks!

I'll keep polishing it. And thanks again for the feedback, who ever you are...

Perhaps all the game needs a good writer who can fly in and fix these problems?

[edited by - Davaris on May 12, 2004 8:37:51 AM]

I tried it. I thought it was kinda fun.

However, I also noticed the strange inventory problem. In fact, I was completely unable to re-equip my character after having taken the rope, which, itself, didn''t want to stay in my inventory.

Else than that, the blipping sound is a little annoying.

As for the positive stuff, the animation is good, I liked the way your UI works, it''s easy and it''s not too drab. If the story is X-files like, I think it could turn out good. The map was cool and that''s about what I could notice from playing it a couple of minutes

The most important thing I noticed for you to fix is the inventory, as others pointed out too.

Good job, did you do it yourself?

>I tried it. I thought it was kinda fun.

I''m glad you had fun. That makes it all worth while.

>However, I also noticed the strange inventory problem. In fact, I was completely unable to re-equip my character after having taken the rope, which, itself, didn''t want to stay in my inventory.

Weird. I''ll take a good look at it. I wish I could see what is happening on your computer.

>Else than that, the blipping sound is a little annoying.

Yeah I think I went a little overboard with the computer sounds. Which blipping sound did you not like?

>If the story is X-files like, I think it could turn out good.

The story has many influences: 1950''s B grade horror movies, alien conspiracy web sites, X-Files and more recent movies like Outbreak.

>As for the positive stuff, the animation is good, I liked the way your UI works, it''s easy and it''s not too drab
The map was cool and that''s about what I could notice from playing it a couple of minutes.

My artists thank you.

>Good job, did you do it yourself?

I programmed the engine and did the story/scripting.

I started learning to program games after playing Fallout many years ago. The engine has code in it dating back 5 years and it is heavily influenced by the Infinity Engine (used in the Baldur''s Gate series of games).

I scripted the game myself because I got tired of waiting for the writers in my old team to finish. What they were doing was great, but at their rate of progress it was going to take them 5 years to finish a small game. That was a very different game. It was based on the question ''What would the world be like today if the Nazi''s had won WW2?''

I''ve just finished the demo so here''s my opinion:

I liked the game.The artwork and gameplay reminds me of the good old dos games.

Below follow some comments(good and bad) about specific features of the game:

Artwork
In-game artwork is moody(as it should be) and really creates the appropriate atmosphere.Sketches are excellent and add points to the overall atmosphere.
I''ve noticed that you use pre-drawn(or better, pre-rendered) images for the background.
They''re nice drawn, however i think you should use more background pictures for the woods to add variety and randomness.
Only one "woods" picture is really monotonous.

Interface
Despite what someone said before me, i liked the colors of the interface(green mostly) because it suits the game''s style.The gauge metres did not really frustrate me, however it''s a good idea to use a more "eye-catchy" indicator for health and "next-level".

What i really liked was the help system that explained almost everything concerning the interface and gameplay.When something looked frustrating i just clicked the help button and found all the info i needed.

The inventory menu was good but the drag delay was irritating(as other people mentioned before me).
Users are used, from windows and other games,to drag items immediately and this delay can cause real annoyance.

I can''t say much about the trade system since i used it only once in the training.(i got a brand new armor from this guy in training in exchange for only two bullets.Is this happening for all NPCs?)

Weapon and item use is really cumbersome.I died three times before i managed to use properly the uzi''s burst mode.Users won''t like to die so many times because they can''t figure out how to use every new weapon they find.And so much clicking to reload,change weapon mode,change weapon or item,use weapon or item,etc. is annoying at least.Which leads me to the biggest disadvantage of the game(to my opinion of course):
lack of shorcut keys!
Please add shortcut key support in the game. Using the mouse for every operation in the game(save, load, use weap/item, change weap/item, change weap mode, realod weap, viewing the map, pressing [next] in information screen without ENTER or SPACE key support,etc.) was the most annoying part of the game.

Scrolling
Scrolling is really slow for me.It could be ok for most users but again if it''s slow for me then there must be at least a few people who share my opinion.
The best solution is to add an option in the Options menu for scrolling speed so that everyone can adjust the speed according to their preferences.

Save menu
The save menu layout is not very user-friendly.
What i mean is that the style you use:

Save slot 01:
MyFirst Mission

Save slot 02:
~~Empty~~

Save slot 03:
~~Empty~~

is a little confusing.
I think a style like:

MyFirstMission
EMPTY
EMPTY
EMPTY

would be more elegant (or at least less confusing).
But that is pobably just personal taste so don''t count it on
the cons of the game.

Character animations were really good(although the PC was moving a little funny sometimes ) and i liked the random encounters and overall enemy behavior(i don''t expect from you perfect AI and diablo-like random encounters, so your current system works just fine for me).
Also the storyline, although not original and strong-ploted(after all it''s an independent game.It''s not a movie), really works for the type and style of the game.I think younger people who haven''t played older games of the same style will not find it very common or cliche(despite its resemblance with too many sci-fi stories and movies)

Overall, the game is pretty good.And if you consider how few people in these forums have ever completed a game, i honestly believe that you(your whole team) did an excellent job.

PS
16$ is not too much but i think not many people would spend them to buy this game, since there are lots of games out there of fine quality that cost as much or fewere money.I got baldur''s gate 4 years ago in Greece for 20 euros.Consider this.7 CDs and an excellent quality game like Baldur''s gate,just for 20 euros(when euro was about the same price with the US dollar)
I believe that, since don''t not really make your living from game production and since you don''t really plan to get rich from this game, to lower the price to a symbolic fee(just for the ego and satisfaction that you created something that worths).
Again that''s just my personal opinion so don''t take everything i say for granted.

Here these words vilifiers and pretenders, please let me die in solitude...

>I got baldur's gate 4 years ago in Greece for 20 euros.Consider this.7 CDs and an excellent quality game like Baldur's gate,just for 20 euros(when euro was about the same price with the US dollar)

Yeah I've thought about this too. However you can only play BG so many times before you want to play something else. The latest games and even older games need really good computers so their price is far greater than $50. If you include the price of the computer, they are more like $1050 to play. All the big companies that used to make RPGs have either given up or gone broke. Small companies like Spiderweb Software do quite well so I figure there is room for our group as long as we don't go for the same market.

>Please add shortcut key support in the game. Using the mouse for every operation in the game(save, load, use weap/item, change weap/item, change weap mode, realod weap, viewing the map, pressing [next] in information screen without ENTER or SPACE key support,etc.) was the most annoying part of the game.

I could add some keys for the weapons. Increment weapon mode and select weapon mode. I can't do much more than that as each weapon is unique (they are scripted). They can have an unlimited number of attack modes and even more than one type of reload mode if they are special (like an assult rifle that launches grenades). Perhaps I could reserve the numbered keys for the weapon mode selection? But then what do I do about selecting the weapons themselves?

If anyone can suggest a good short cut scheme let me know. I have already reserved the obvious keys for accessing the other screens from the encounter screen:

Esc, O key Menu
S key Select Script
C key Character
R key Rest
I key Inventory
M key Map

>i got a brand new armor from this guy in training in exchange for only two bullets.Is this happening for all NPCs?)

You got it for two bricks of bullets. In one brick there are 20 bullets.

>Scrolling
>Scrolling is really slow for me.It could be ok for most users

You can go to the preferences section and increase the size of your screen. You can also go into the map screen and and drag the green box around to move the screen rapidly. Anyway I'll take a look at an increase scroll speed option.

[edited by - Davaris on May 14, 2004 1:23:56 AM]

[edited by - Davaris on May 14, 2004 1:25:33 AM]

This post has been depreciated.

[edited by - Davaris on May 18, 2004 1:45:35 AM]

Hi Everyone:

Thanks again for the feedback. I've fixed almost everything you mentioned. Some things I am unable to do at the moment due to time constraints or artist constraints (see below).
At the moment someone is writing a detailed manual with pictures so that should help the people who need this kind of thing.

persil:

I think the inventory problem is fixed now. However you mentioned the following

>However, I also noticed the strange inventory problem. In fact, I was completely unable to re-equip my character after having taken the rope, which, itself, didn't want to stay in my inventory.

I was wondering if you could get the latest demo and see if you still have this problem? I haven't been able to reproduce it on my system.

HTH,
Anon :

>I have a mouse wheel on my system. When I highlight one of the text items (I think it was the dt/dr label), and spin the mouse wheel, the machine beeps repeatedly.

This one I couldn't fix because I don't have a mouse with a wheel. Also I'm not sure what the mouse wheel would be used for in this context.

>Once you tag a skill, the number goes up, but otherwise it's not clear what skills are tagged. There is a tiny

I improved the instructions to explain this better.

>I saw the graphics ripple when I scrolled all the way to the left, and again all the way down during the training bit.

Not sure why it is doing this. It could be the back buffer is flipping to the front buffer before it has finished drawing. I'll take another look at it.

>I suggest keeping it mostly the same, but making the gage cover only 1/2 of a circle, with full health at the top and dead when the needle is pointing straight down.
This would also free up the other half of the circle to display an image of the hero's body that could be colored in by location if it suffers damage. As it is, you won't know your arm is damaged unless you look at the character screen.

Won't be able to fix this until I can get a hold of my artist. He's gone walkabout.

>Gameplay:
Weapons don't autoload when you are outside of combat and pickup ammo.

This will go in when I get more time.

>The abbreviations in the weapon decription screen are unclear.

I forgot to add an explaination for these in the instructions. I'll do this on the next update.

>Then there is the problem with
>The writing:

The next thing I'll do is get the people in the writing forum to take a look at the script.

Voodoo4:

>lack of shorcut keys!

This is being looked at now. I'll have to come up with a good scheme.

>The best solution is to add an option in the Options menu for scrolling speed

The scroll speed option will have to go in at later update.

[edited by - Davaris on May 18, 2004 9:55:51 AM]

I have a final question for everyone:

What element would you like to see go in this game that would make it a lot of fun to play and would tempt you to buy it.

Is it a different style of combat system? A better script? Anthing you can think of.

How many copy of this game did you sell up to now?*
if you don''t want to reveal it
you can post it to my email ü
tonymontanaofcyberspace@hotmail.com

This is supposed to be the premier place on the net for discussing isometric games and no one has any ideas for making a better iso game? Oh well...

Anyway there’s a new update. I have added short cut keys to streamline the combat and speed movement in and out of menus.

Read all about it here:

http://www.ausgamedev.com/omegasyndrome/news.html

Get the latest demo here:

http://www.ausgamedev.com/omegasyndrome/files.html

The new demo only has the training area as we are going to polish the text in the game. When this is done we''ll release 30-40% of the game for free. If people want to keep on playing they''ll have to buy the full version.

I think I might have achieved perfection this time (no bugs). However if anyone notices anything odd please let me know.

Thanks!

This game looks good in the screenshots. I''m curious, have you been able to sell copies?

I wonder, once we have a game, how do we market/sell it at no cost?

What kind of results have people gotten?

• Advertisement