• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Imperio59

Learning To use DirectX

This topic is 5218 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi! I know this question must have been asked many times, but I think i''ll ask it again I''m a 1st year french college student, trying to become a games programmer. I''m taking a little bit of programming at school but it is mainly beginner''s stuff, and it''s all C. On the side i learned some more advanced things with C++ through modding for Half Life using their SDK, and got a good understanding of classes and more adanced topics of the sort. I''m about to get 2 or 3 months of holidays and I''ve tried getting into Dx programming before but i could never get myself to stick to it. I first tried doing stuff with DirectDraw, i made a small program wich did a couple of things, it created a full windowed display, changed colors when i clicked it, then made a picture move around on the screen, simple stuff... But i keep hearing people telling me i should use DirectX to make 2D games, using billboarding. The thing is, I''m afraid of 3D Mainly because i am not really good at 3D math. I understand the basic concepts but i never took a course in it (my grades in physics are proof of that ) and i am wondering if it would be hard to get into 3D programming (not just billboarding) without having a strong understanding of 3D math. So my questions are: 1) Is it hard to get into 3D programming without a strong understanding of 3D math? 2) What kind of project would be good for me to start out with Direct3D coding? (i already have the SDK downloaded, looked at a couple tutorials already...) 3) Is there any particular website wich has good tutorials for starting out with direct3D, or are the tutorials in the SDK a good enough starting point?

Advertisement
1) No, it''s not hard. I had no problem learning along the way. There is a lot I don''t understand though that I wish I did.

2) Pong? Tetris? It depends what your skill level is.

3)
www.andypike.com
nexe.gamedev.net
www.drunkenhyena.com
triplebuffer.devmaster.net

Thanks, I hadn''t thought about doing a thing like pong or tetris, but it does sound like a good idea! I think i''ll try tetris

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!