• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whats wrong with the Microsoft SDK framework?

This topic is 5033 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was told that this layout for the OOP side of it isnt particularly good, and nobody said why. Does anyone know? regards, ace

Advertisement
Uh, as far as I know, there''s no such thing as the "Microsoft SDK Framework". What are you referring to?

"Sneftel is correct, if rather vulgar." --Flarelocke

referring to the method that is used for the example applications in the SDK, like BillBoards etc...

regards,

ace

Well it is very good in terms of what it is used for: showcasing single examples. Building a game over it is a bad idea though. Bunching everything together keeps things nice and simple for a nice small example but is not much fun when you keep adding to it and see your files are 10k lines and a slight change of a header means an almost complete rebuild.

Take for example the PointSprite example:
CMyD3DApplication inherits CD3DApplication, a class that handles API stuff rendering and the setting up of the device. CMyD3DApplication is now stuffed with all the textures and meshes for everything and it owns the particle system.

In a proper OOP system you want to make actual distinct objects, not a mish-mash of a base class that controls everything.

For my engine, I restructured and rewrote parts, eg for enumeration I took bits out, sorted out min specification in two structures DeviceSpecification and DisplayModeSpecification. Now all the enumeration code is much cleaner. I also (in enumeration) took out the manager for displaying enumeration information that passed arrays down to delegates. This means that I can use it for in-game menus, not just D3DSettingsForm. I also converted some of the overused ArrayLists to normal arrays once compiling the lists was finished.

quote:
Original post by ace_lovegrove
referring to the method that is used for the example applications in the SDK, like BillBoards etc...

regards,

ace

Oh. You mean the DirectX SDK. You might want to specify that. MS has lots of dev kits.

As for the sample framework, it does what it needs to do. *shrug*

I like pie.

• Advertisement