Abstraction vs. simulation

Started by
18 comments, last by Diodor 19 years, 11 months ago
quote:Original post by Diodor
Simulating a physical world reduces what the player can express in that world to physical actions - just because the player must move, fight, take, drop, climb, jump, aim, look, search, dodge, avoid in order to do anything, the game must be about those physical things. Anything else is condemned to be merely a distraction.

Simulating a physical world doesn''t prevent a game from having a dialog system, so unless you''re classing conversation as a physical action like walking, the physical world in no way "reduces" player expression in the game to physical actions. Instead the physics system handles physical actions, the dialog system handles dialog, the diplomacy system handles diplomacy and so on.

Simulating ONLY a physical world would do what you''ve stated, but just having some sort of model of the world in the game does not condemn everything else to being merely a distraction. Do you honestly believe that?

quote:If Fallout and Ultima are anything like ADOM, they''re about fighting - pick 10 random moments in the duration of a game - what is the player doing in 9 of those moments? Even in Thief, I bet 9 players out of 10 black-jack their way through the game.

Fallout and UUW2 are both dialog heavy RPGs. I haven''t played ADOM but if it''s a Rogue-like then I doubt it''s similar to Fallout or UUW2. One of the main features of Fallout that its fans highlight in their reasons for liking it is that a character can talk their way through the entire game without ever attacking an NPC or creature. Character interaction and problem solving certainly isn''t "condemned to be merely a distraction" in either game.

quote:There is deep gameplay - each decisions requires (or even better - allows) a lot of thinking and there are complex rules - simply learning the game is a lot of work. IMHO, the former is desirable and the latter is not (though the two sometimes go hand in hand and sometimes, as in the D&D example, learning the many rules is a fun endeavor in itself).

I enjoy the learning and discovery aspect of games, and you don''t just learn the explicit rules of a game but also the gameplay rules which allow you to win. Learning those are a major part of games and add to the complexity of the game beyond explicit rules or mechanics of the game world. That knowledge forms part of the decision making process that you desire. As the player learns the game he creates his own rules from experience and thinks about them when making decisions.

quote:How about a game that is not as much about what resources each of the players control (be those countries or RPG stats and items) but instead about what each of the NPCs think of each other and the player, what each tells each other, about the relations between them and so on and so forth.

If the NPCs don''t have resources (goods, armies, weapons or money) then what does it matter what they think of each other? They can''t harm or aid each other or the player, so what have any of them to gain in such a game and how would they do it?

If NPCs do have resources, then either the world is abtracted to the level that all resource transfers are condered equal (still a physical model, just very simple) or a physical representation provides more detail by simulating the world to a greater degree. This doesn''t prevent the features you mention but could provide a reason for them. Keep your heavily armed neighbour happy for example, or play NPCs off against each other by providing (possibly false) information.

Fulby
Advertisement
quote:original quote by Diodor
Let''s assume I want to make a role-playing game with an emphasis on intrigue, politics, with very smart and aware NPCs (all of these being realistic traits). If I start the design by creating a 2d map, items, classes and the rest of the usual RPG stuff, the very things I wanted in the first place will be pushed aside and downplayed. A visual/physical realistic abstraction does not support politics - but would it be possible to throw away all that stuff and find a higher abstraction where only the politics exist in the game world?

italics mine

That''s why what you chose to model must support the experience you wish to give to the gamer. Is it possible to create a game which focuses on intrigue and politics without the the other distracting and unnecessary elements? Sure. There''s actually quite a few websites out there that deal with creating fictional nations that vie for control through various means (not just military). An old boardgame called Diplomacy (originally by Avalon Hill) also comes to mind.

The reason graphics seems like such a major factor beyond the selling point of eye-candy is that it''s a rigid science. Dealing with exactly how to cull frames, create good cameras with proper viewing frustrums, figuring out a new algorithm to reduce LOD calculations, etc etc are though difficult, precisely defined.

In some ways, you''d think abstracting something would make it easier...but not necessarily. Graphics and simulation usually model well known and understood things. We can represent these things very adequately with the computer. But how exactly do you model politics and diplomacy? How exactly do you convey the emotions of an NPC? How exactly do you determine the morale of a unit in a strategy game? Because these questions are often not based on well-known and understood principles, we instead have to deduce our own algorithms. Sometimes it''s easy...sometimes its hard. But abstracting these concepts into a meaningful algorithm can be trick IF you want to achieve a consistent or logical outcome. In other words, it''s a lot of trial and error in some ways to come up with the right abstract protocols or algorithms precisely because it''s not exact.

But the bottomline is that what is modelled (whether abstracted or simulated) should support the game experience you are trying to give the player.

Let me give an example which illustrates what I think is a problem with some design thinking. Real Time in Real Time strategy games. At first, real time was something of a gimmick. Instead of playing turn by turn, the player instead had to react and plan for events in real time. This had several effects, namely that it felt more "real", and that the fast paced action felt more enjoyable to those who liked to constantly think on their feet.

But is real-time really more realistic? Hardly. I''ll actually posit that you''d probably get more realistic results from an alternate turn sequence (not an IGOUGO, but a unit by unit round robin style) than real time. Why? Because in the real world the general doesn''t have to tell all of his troops what to do every second. Moreover, the time scale, the distance scale, and the production scale are all off. But because everything happens as you order it, it just "feels" more real. Plus, the dynamic nature of the game makes it more action-oriented.

So the very inclusion of "real-time" influences the experience that the player gets from playing a real-time game. But if a game designer is actually trying to give a different experience....say the experience of giving orders, formulating battle plans, delegating authority instead of micromanagement and actually integrating distance, combat time, and production economies all in scale with one another....then having a game use real-time should not be on the top of his game specification list.

I sometimes get the impression that some designers create their program specifications and requirements simply because every other game in their genre does it too, but without really thinking about what exactly it is they want to give to their players.
The world has achieved brilliance without wisdom, power without conscience. Ours is a world of nuclear giants and ethical infants. We know more about war than we know about peace, more about killing than we know about living. We have grasped the mystery of the atom and rejected the Sermon on the Mount." - General Omar Bradley
quote:Original post by Fulby

Simulating ONLY a physical world would do what you''ve stated, but just having some sort of model of the world in the game does not condemn everything else to being merely a distraction. Do you honestly believe that?

I find the idea interesting enough that it''s worth entertaining. It may not be, but I find exploring seemingly wrong ideas worthwhile.

quote:
Fallout and UUW2 are both dialog heavy RPGs. I haven''t played ADOM but if it''s a Rogue-like then I doubt it''s similar to Fallout or UUW2. One of the main features of Fallout that its fans highlight in their reasons for liking it is that a character can talk their way through the entire game without ever attacking an NPC or creature. Character interaction and problem solving certainly isn''t "condemned to be merely a distraction" in either game.

I''m impressed - I guess I should try Fallout one of these days. You didn''t directly counter my point though. If you take a random player having an average go at the game - and a program takes ten screenshots of the game at random moments throughout the game, what is happening in most of those screenshots?

quote:
If the NPCs don''t have resources (goods, armies, weapons or money) then what does it matter what they think of each other? They can''t harm or aid each other or the player, so what have any of them to gain in such a game and how would they do it?

Perhaps the game is about becoming a leader of a mafia gang or the CEO of a computer games studio. Perhaps it''s a whodunint - or an ididntdoit. Anyway, as long as the focus of the game remains on the diplomacy and dialogue, some limited form of resources wouldn''t hurt.

quote:Original post by Dauntless
So the very inclusion of "real-time" influences the experience that the player gets from playing a real-time game. But if a game designer is actually trying to give a different experience....say the experience of giving orders, formulating battle plans, delegating authority instead of micromanagement and actually integrating distance, combat time, and production economies all in scale with one another....then having a game use real-time should not be on the top of his game specification list.

Exactly. This doesn''t mean that a real-time game like you described couldn''t be done, but it would be much, much harder. Given equal resources the turn-based game with abstracted divisions would deliver the desired gameplay better.

quote:I sometimes get the impression that some designers create their program specifications and requirements simply because every other game in their genre does it too, but without really thinking about what exactly it is they want to give to their players.

Designers in the "real world" have to live with all sort of constraints on what makes a "real game" - possibly for good reasons. It''s a shame these constraints spill over to independent and hobbiest games - which could take a lot of liberties.
I''m impressed - I guess I should try Fallout one of these days. You didn''t directly counter my point though. If you take a random player having an average go at the game - and a program takes ten screenshots of the game at random moments throughout the game, what is happening in most of those screenshots?

I stated they were dialog heavy, which I assumed would tell you that the games are not simply about fighting even though they had quite detailed physical simulations. Why does having that stated as "X out of 10 screenshots" matter so much?

One of the most looked-for features of RPGs by the old-schoolers like Fallout fans is the ability to play and win the game the way you want, not the way the designer wants. For a diplomatic Fallout character the player would spend a lot of time in dialog (8/9 out of 10 screenshots if you''re that picky ), but it was also possible to go through Fallout killing every single NPC and still win the game. A player playing that way would have 0/1 out of 10 screenshots in dialog. Note that this single game can play in two entirely different ways even with the same physical simulation system.

Fulby
quote:8/9 out of 10 screenshots if you''re that picky

Hrm, won''t the player also need to walk from NPC to NPC?
quote:8/9 out of 10 screenshots if you''re that picky

That''s not really something to take screenshots of

8 out of 10 for most people, 9 out of 10 for slow readers

Fulby
One of the most looked-for features of RPGs by the old-schoolers like Fallout fans is the ability to play and win the game the way you want, not the way the designer wants. For a diplomatic Fallout character the player would spend a lot of time in dialog (8/9 out of 10 screenshots if you''re that picky ), but it was also possible to go through Fallout killing every single NPC and still win the game. A player playing that way would have 0/1 out of 10 screenshots in dialog. Note that this single game can play in two entirely different ways even with the same physical simulation system.

I think this point is akin to "non-linear" gameplay. You can go anywhere in the game. And play the game different ways within the rulesets of the designer, and any path can still lead to some kind of winning condition. Quite a few of my all-time favourite games have this feature. Now that I think about it, probably most.

When reading these posts, I had to decypher "realism".. as meaning "graphic" realism, or realism in the sense of the known universe.

As to simulations of the known universe, I think that they will *always* be abstractions. Until we know everything and have the means to simulate it on machines.

So, according to this reasoning, the abstraction/simulation scale simplifies to an abstraction scale only.

Probably a pointless point to point out pointlessly, but maybe you get my simple point?

hehe

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement