• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jaytoker

DX8/Bitmap & Programming RPGs w/DX

This topic is 5130 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all, I hope this isn''t an overly stupid question. I am working with Jim Adam''s _Programming Role Playing Games with Direct X_, but am having a lot of trouble using bitmaps. So, I''m either looking for clarification from someone who has used this book, or else a completely different approach to bitmaps. What I am trying to do is build a Tetris-clone to teach myself. Whenever I try to use his code to load the bitmaps, the images stretch. If I put a call to GetWidth/Height, they go from 20x20, to 32x32 (I''m really hoping all images in DX don''t have to be powers of 2 in size!). So, how can I use bitmaps in DX? If anyone has a link to information, or a class already built, that''d be wonderful. Much appreciated, JT

Advertisement
Textures are loaded in powers of two. You can make D3DX load them, not stretching using this code:

HRESULT WINAPI D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx(
LPDIRECT3DDEVICE9 pDevice,
LPCTSTR pSrcFile,
UINT Width,
UINT Height,
UINT MipLevels,
DWORD Usage,
D3DFORMAT Format,
D3DPOOL Pool,
DWORD Filter, //D3DX_FILTER_NONE

DWORD MipFilter, //D3DX_FILTER_NONE

D3DCOLOR ColorKey,
D3DXIMAGE_INFO *pSrcInfo,
PALETTEENTRY *pPalette,
LPDIRECT3DTEXTURE9 *ppTexture
);

BTW, you don't have to learn how to use surfaces at all. Unless it's the only way. (Which is almost never)

--
You're Welcome,
Rick Wong

- sitting in his chair doing the most time-consuming thing..

[edited by - Pipo DeClown on May 9, 2004 7:37:15 AM]

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the code. I haven''t tried it yet - I was specifically looking for something compatible with DirectX 8, not 9, but perhaps there is an easy way to change it. Like I said, I have only just peeked at the message, and then written this.

I found out, after a couple hours of searching, that the texture sizes "have" to be powers of 2 in size (prior to your code), so that''s what I''m doing now - my images were 220x440 and 20x20, so I just bumped them up, but then only blit the actual size. Works well enough for me that I don''t really care.

I''m sorry, the code is THE SAME in Direct3D8. Just set BOTH the filter parameters to D3DX_FILTER_NONE.

Done!

--
You''re Welcome,
Rick Wong

- sitting in his chair doing the most time-consuming thing..

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!