• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Keyboard key name's w/DirectInput

This topic is 5127 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Is there any way to get the string representation of a key? For instance...The user presses a button, how do I tell them what button they pressed? A string table is the first solution that comes to mind. The only thing that I have found that may do this for me is the ActionMap functionallity in DirectInput. I took a look through the docs, and it seems like an uneccessary amount of time to get it up and running properly. As of now, I''ve always took care of action mapping by holding DIK values in an array that is indexed using enumerated values. I don''t see any big benifits of using DirectInput ActionMaps other than that they are already there. Any thoughts on how to go about a string representation of a keyboard key, or other benefits of DirectInput''s ActionMaps?

Advertisement

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!