• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is Mensa hardware supported?

This topic is 5040 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I heard somewere that mensa only runs in software mode. is this true?

Advertisement
LOL.

MESA, not mensa, which is a group of people who have high IQs.

And no, mesa supports DRI under linux, so it is hardware accelerated.

MESA runs in hardware only on some cards (some ATIs, Intels, etc.) but won''t run in hardware on Nvidia.

If you use the opengl32.dll software runtime library supplied by MESA you WILL get software rendering in Windows. So, if you want hardware rendering, make sure you have the latest OpenGL drivers for your card, and also make sure you don''t use MESA''s opengl32.dll renderer.

quote:
MESA runs in hardware only on some cards (some ATIs, Intels, etc.) but won''t run in hardware on Nvidia.

That''s not quite true in Windows - altough it depends on what you mean by that. You can still use the MESA headers and .lib to compile your project and use hardware rendering in Windows. The headers and .lib only define the API entry points for the opengl32.dll runtime library.

I wasn''t talking about using the headers, I was talking about using the Mesa as it is, a library. Mesa is, unofficially, an OpenGL implementation. Officially it''s just a graphic library that looks very much alike OpenGL.
Besides, Mesa is meant for Linux, where it''s the default OpenGL libary, pretty much like the opengl dll provided by MS (which is 1.1 and software only)

quote:

I heard somewere that mensa only runs in software mode. is this true?

Speaking from the standpoint of someone who knows several card-carrying mensa members who are so full of themselves it makes me ill (and are the main reason why I''ve never bothered trying to join), that is an EXTREMELY funny statement.

• Advertisement