• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This Summer I'm Switching Over To Redhat 9 From WinXP

This topic is 5010 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've decided that i'm done with windows.i'm tired of knowingly supporting a monopoly. what should I know before i leave microsoft behind forever? I have three specfic questions. how hard is it to install software? i've never been able to do it. and what general purpose libaries are thier like windows.h? and are thier linux versions of most games? more specficly, tribes 2, ut2k4 and gta3 vc? EDIT:forgot the third question [edited by - cibressus on May 8, 2004 9:46:16 PM]

Advertisement
As much of a staunch linux supporter as I am, I don't think you'll gain anything by not using software which you have already bought. The reason I use linux is because I think its a better operating system. I still use Windows (on extremely rare occasions) for certain things for which it is better. In any case,

1) Depends on your distribution. I've never used RedHat before, but I don't think its too bad. If you want really want easy installation, try SuSE. (For that matter, why are you using RedHat 9? It's old! Try Fedora if you really want RedHat.)

2) There are lots of different libraries. The standard Unix ones come in the form of unistd.h, but you'll find that that does a lot less than windows.h. For other things, such as windowing toolkits and stuff (in linux the GUI isn't built into the operating system), see the Forum FAQ.

3) No.

EDIT: The [ faq ] tag is the coolest tag.

Zorx (a Puzzle Bobble clone)
Discontinuity (an animation system for POV-Ray)

[edited by - clum on May 8, 2004 10:04:00 PM]

There are linux verisons of a few games.

Neverwinter Nights is for linux, for instance.

And linux has a few nice free games.

quote:
Original post by Cibressus
how hard is it to install software? i've never been able to do it.

It's not difficult to install software that's properly packaged (either with an installer or preferably for Red Hat, in an RPM).
quote:
and what general purpose libaries are thier like windows.h?

POSIX.
quote:
and are thier linux versions of most games? more specficly, tribes 2, ut2k4 and gta3 vc?

Not for the most part. More specifically: yes (not sure if it was Loki-only or if it was distributed with the Windows version; it's hard to find many Loki products anymore), an emphatic yes (the installer is on the commercial CD you would have bought; look on the box, there should be a Linux logo), and no (it might run in WINE or WineX, I know GTA 3 did to an extent).

Edit: I can't type.

[edited by - Null and Void on May 8, 2004 11:22:00 PM]

I used to have a Redhat on my 2nd HD. Then it stopped working, so I don''t dual boot anymore. Oh well. It was fun, but I didn''t use it much anyways.

It''s really not that hard.

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man how to fish and he will eat for a life time."
-Chinese Proverb
WiseElben.com - Experience Wisdom

Let me be the first to say "Good choice in coming to Linux!"

ut2003 and ut2004 both run natively in linux. gta 3 doesn''t, except maybe via wine.

If you check www.transgaming.com, you can see which windows games can run non-natively.

The installion difficulty varies - Lindows is easier than Windows, RedHat is about as difficult, and Gentoo is harder.

Overall, Linux is the best way to take your computer knowledge to the next level. Even if you stick with Windows, using both really gives you a much broader perspective.

Good Luck!!!

Also - If you are doing game development, OpenGL/OpenAL/SDL/ODE are a great cross-platform combination. These APIs run in Windows, Linux, mac, ...

quote:
how''s the framerate when i''m running it through emulation?

I hear it''s roughly the same as windows since wine (and there is a version made specificly for direct x games) is not technicly emulation, it''s another implimentation of the windows libraries!

Wine(X) emulated games don''t have the same performance as under Windows and it wouldn''t be really true to say that games are working very well. There is much overhead when using wine and although if the windows libraries are implemented it doesn''t run at the same speed as under Windows. If you''d like to emulate games, make sure you have a powerful system ;-).

I am a Linux user and I have completely switched from Windows to Linux some years ago. It''s quite hard at the beginning but using distributions like Suse you get into it quite soon. But I made the experience that if you choose a little more "difficult" distro like Debian or Gentoo, you learn much more. After getting fed up with stupid Mandrake & Suse I switched to Debian. Of course it''s hard to setup everything & install etc. but if you get the system running you get the good feeling that it was YOU that installed it and definitely you learn many basic Linux tasks which is a very interesting experience.

Anyway I am still using Windows when I''d to play counter-strike etc. but programming and everything else is done under linux. It''s definitely worth a try..

Good luck!

-------
www.steinsoft.net
cout << "Happy Coding!" << endl;

quote:
Original post by clum
1) Depends on your distribution. I've never used RedHat before, but I don't think its too bad. If you want really want easy installation, try SuSE. (For that matter, why are you using RedHat 9? It's old! Try Fedora if you really want RedHat.)

may i ask how old ?!?!

i mean, does fedora look much better,
and work better ?!?!

i have redhat 9 (i am a newbie too),
but guess it would be kinda hard to get
fedora. is it really worth the trouble to get it ?!

and as a newbie, would i really find using fedora
much easier to start with ?!

[edited by - zaidgs on May 10, 2004 10:04:49 AM]

Fedora pretty much is Red Hat. The thing is, Red Hat officially stopped producing their desktop line of OS''s in order to focus on their (non-free) Enterprise Linux. Red Hat Desktop Linux was changed to Fedora Linux, which is officially a community-driven project (though views on the reality of this seem to differ). In other words, you might regard Fedora as more recent versions of Red Hat - and why should you go with an older version?

As for how hard it is to get ... just go to http://fedora.redhat.com/ and download it.

its hard to get, because i have dial-up connection :''(

If you want any distro on CD, that offers .iso files on a server, you could go to cheapbytes and order a CD/DVD set of a linux distro, I personally would say either SuSE or Fedora, as they are both RPM based, and fairly newbie-oriented. As for games, Tribes 2 and UT2k4(as others have mentioned), both have native ports to linux, although as others had said, linux users that want to play games on their machines should invest in WineX. Fedora is better than Red Hat if you want the newer packages, like a newer kernel, XFree86, etc...

I don''t know about "investing" in winex, it shouldn''t be too hard to just get the cvs version for free

The transgaming website tells you what commands to use to download it, and then there should be a readme telling you what to type to compile it

Of course there''s the risk of cvs stuff not working, but you can always try again tomorrow

Guest Anonymous Poster
The CVS version of Winex is mainly ment for developer use. It has no support for copy protection mechanisms (You have to find and doewnload a nocd patch for the game) and does not have the cool point-to-play interface.

If your determined to try CVS version, I would suggest looking at http://frankscorner.org/

It has a howto on getting set up with it.

Getting the Wine(X) CVS to compile and run properly is far from easy, and the results when running apps are often far from good.

I've given up on wine and bought myself a new(old) laptop to run linux on, and let my desktop computer run windows. Together with rdesktop, it works like a charm.

CrossOver plugin from codeweavers are really nice though; it lets you use windows plugins for linux browsers. It actually works pretty well too, a little slow when loading, but otherwise it's good.

-Luctus
..I'm also moronophobic
[Mail]

[edited by - Luctus on May 14, 2004 2:47:31 PM]

quote:

Getting the Wine(X) CVS to compile and run properly is far from easy

Really? All I had to do was type ''emerge winex'' as root and it installed fine Although I''ve never had a chance to set it up with all this other stuff going on, but I think I''ll try it out right now.

The version of winex I got from the cvs works fine, though I only use it to play minesweeper (which it does slightly better than normal wine, but takes much longer to start up)

And emerge winex doesn''t work (well it does, but it doesn''t give you winex or anything else you can run), you need winex-cvs/winex-transgaming, but these have fetch restrictions (so you have to download the source yourself and but it in /usr/portage/distfiles)

bash-2.05b# emerge -s winex
Searching...
[ Results for search key : winex ]
[ Applications found : 3 ]

* app-emulation/winex
Latest version available: 3000
Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
Size of downloaded files: 0 kB
Homepage: http://www.transgaming.com/
Description: Winex - fake ebuild!
License: Aladdin

* app-emulation/winex-cvs
Latest version available: 3000
Size of downloaded files: 0 kB
Description: Winex - fake ebuild!

* app-emulation/winex-transgaming
Latest version available: 3.3.2
Size of downloaded files: 7,037 kB
Description: WineX is a distribution of Wine with enhanced DirectX for gaming
^^ in case you don''t beleive me

So either you aren''t using winex, things have changed since you installed it, or you did more than just type emerge winex (personally I install cvs stuff that has fetch restrictions on manually, ever since I tried to install helix play and on of the very few builds I couldn''t get the source for was the one the ebuild wanted)

^^Why not play the kde/gnome version of minesweeper?

Because they aren''t as good as the MS version (maybe I need to wear some asbestos when saying that on a *nix forum, but unfortunately it''s true)

and more importantly times on them aren''t accepted by the online minesweeper community (not that I could get worthwhile times on them anyway)

quote:

So either you aren''t using winex, things have changed since you installed it, or you did more than just type emerge winex (personally I install cvs stuff that has fetch restrictions on manually, ever since I tried to install helix play and on of the very few builds I couldn''t get the source for was the one the ebuild wanted)

I stand corrected.

quote:
Original post by bytecoder
quote:

Getting the Wine(X) CVS to compile and run properly is far from easy

Really? All I had to do was type ''emerge winex'' as root and it installed fine Although I''ve never had a chance to set it up with all this other stuff going on, but I think I''ll try it out right now.

You can''t do that anymore; Transgaming asked Gentoo to remove the auto-emerge support. As mentioned the CVS version isn''t the whole product and it cost like 5 bucks every three months, and it is a major hurdle for Windows to Linux transitions; support ''em!

All the cool games have native Linux ports (Quake 3, UT2k4) And WineX keeps improving. Visual Studio and MS Office are only things keeping me to Windows now; and I''m going to start using Eclipse at work and one if theses days I''ll figure out how to make OfficeXP work with Wine.

quote:
how''s the framerate when i''m running it through emulation?

I''ve got my games to run at native (normal speeds) without any modification or special coding in advance on WINE.

• Advertisement