• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shutter

Any alternatives to IOCP [ it is causing lag]

This topic is 5275 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I've got an IOCP server running that was using code from CodeProject. Works great when there are less than approx 20 users. But when I get to 50 or so and I try to broadcast a message to all of the clients, it lags horribly. (talk seconds) I don't know if it has something to do with the packet ordering mechanism, but I don't think so since I'm sending to different clients. I am not using an incredible amount of bandwidth, so that isn't the problem. Is there any good alternative to IOCP on Windows? Or is there something that could be causing the problem with IOCP? Shutter [edited by - Shutter on May 8, 2004 11:34:50 PM]

Advertisement
I would suggest taking a peek at what''s going on by using Ethereal. With that you''ll be able to figure out exactly when your messages are arriving/being sent, and put a better point on where the problem is coming from. At the moment it could either be anything.

"You are in a room. You can see a cow."
">look at cow"
"It is a cow."

.:Cubicle2:.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!