• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nickwinters

Writing networking code for windows and macs?

This topic is 5277 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m beginning to work on an isometric MMORPG. The server is Windows 2003. I''m going to try using DirectPlay for networking, but then I realized I would be unable to add Macs, without writing sockets. In that case, I figure I might as well just write everything with sockets and dump DirectPlay. Is there a way to connect to a DirectPlay server with a mac? Or should I just write everything with sockets? Thanks. -Nick

Advertisement
Microsoft made DirectX Windows specific for a reason, and it wasn''t to make it easy to port your app to competing platforms.

You should just use a third party library if you want cross platform support. Microsoft isn't gonna port DPlay and it's unlikely they'll be at all supportive of third party porting efforts. Why tie yourself to MS's semantics?

Shameless plug: I'm a developer on the Torque Network Layer, one such third party solution. I strongly suggest you check it out if you're looking for good, cheap networking.

[edited by - bengarney on May 10, 2004 2:12:33 PM]

I''ve looked at Torque. Unfortunately, my budget is currently $0. Unless GarageGames decides to give it free for education purposes, it''s not an option.

On that note, are there any companies that give free engines for educational use?

-Nick

The Torque Network Library != Torque. TNL is free for open source projects under the GPL. See http://www.opentnl.org for more details.

I''m not sure I want to make my game open source.

So it sounds like DPlay is not an option. So now the question is it possible to connect .NET sockets with Mac sockets? If not, does it make sense to just write the networking code in C++? Or write the whole game in C++?

Thanks.

-Nick

Yes, it''s posssible to connect .NET sockets with Mac sockets. You probably won''t be able to use any of the stream formatters with it, but basic functionality should be compatible.

Do the stream formatters really give any advantage? I find the tutorials on just using sockets much simpler than the tutorials using stream formatters. And I''m learning sockets just through the SDK docs. I actually have books on using stream formatters (O''Reilly).

Stream formatters are fairly nifty if you want to send large chunks of data over a stream, for example serialization of graphs of objects. They''re not so useful if you want to send small chunks of data regularly, like most game update packets.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!