Books!!!!

Started by
2 comments, last by vish40 19 years, 11 months ago
Hey Guys, I am going to have a lot of free time over the summer. So I have decided to spend it by creating a 2d or a 3d engine. I have worked with C++ for about 2 years and DirectX and Opengl for about 6 months.But, I did not do any sort of game programming. Therefore, what books would you guys recommend me buying. My long run goal is to create and engine that will support a RPG game. So, please give me a list according to that. Thanks for your help.
Advertisement
Personally, after I learned C++ from a book I started programming and got my own games going bit by bit. Most people seem to start writing simple games and then build up to more complex ones so perhaps you could try that instead of going down the ''book'' route?

Mark
Ever wanted to command a starship?
http://www.lostinflatspace.com
Real-time Rendering - almost no source code but explains virtually every method you are likely to use.

Programming Role Playing Games with DirectX - good book, covers a lot of stuff

Focus on 3d terrain programming - short but to the point, good if you are gonna make a terrain engine.
------------------"Kaka e gott" - Me
I don´t recommend Programming RPGs with DirectX. I think you already understand the stuff that that book covers.
I´d recommend the gems series. I haven´t really read any of them, but I think its covers more advanced stuff than cGraphics and cInput.

No offense, it''s a good book. But just not for you.

--
You''re Welcome,
Rick Wong
- sitting in his chair doing the most time-consuming thing..

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement