• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nerusai

Threaded vs. Non-threaded

This topic is 5337 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

These are two engine types, you can make it completely non-threaded and have one single main loop going trough it all, using non-blocking calls to api''s etc. Or you can have a threaded engine with which you can spawn threads for blocking calls or handle generally anything in threads. What are the pros and cons of these approaches? Which one would you use and why? And is there a best approach?

Advertisement
I personally prefer non-threaded, as it makes things way easier to keep track of. Or that is what I think, anyway. For threads, you have to think somewhat different.

Yes, you have to have mutexes on shared data for instance(If it''s written, things that only read need no mutex)

It has advantages and disadvantages.

I mean, take the networking part: On a threaded engine you can simply spawn a thread with blocking calls to winsock and simply send the data where it needs to go, but on a non-threaded, you do use non-blocking calls, but how much data do you take in each iteration of the engine? (This is my current dilemma), reading one ''packet'' every iteration is too slow.

www.boycott-riaa.com

quote:
Original post by Siaon
These are two engine types

No there isn''t, you''re imposing an arbitary definition for no real point.

Using only a single thread will leave you struggling when you come to do certain things, like sound or networking. And at the opposite end, using a different thread for everything is going to kill your performance and make the whole thing much less predictable.

In general, stick the minimum number of threads needed to get the job done well.

I agree with the last poster!

Use threads when needed. I hate trying to follow code that uses loads of threads. Use only when it is needed, some people i know seem to use them out of habit.

I find that using threads makes debugging more difficult. If you''ve got a thread with a bug, and it trashes memory, the *other* thread might crash, and then you have no idea what''s going on.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!