• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

__Daedalus__

Neon Glow - Pics

This topic is 5215 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am trying to create a neon glow effect around a tube in my model of a room. This is the current pic: and this is the desired effect (rendered in Max). I think that what I should do is render part of the room model to a texture. The only parts I should render are the parts that use the material for tube. I would then blur that image a certain amount and then render it over my backbuffer before presenting it. I reckon I could do the texture render but I don't know where to start blurring it to the right amount and then how to overlay it. Any help would be appreciated. Edit: I'm using a 32MB Geforce 2 and so don't have programmable shaders etc. [edited by - __Daedalus__ on May 9, 2004 8:10:31 AM]

Advertisement
Why not simply do it via a texture or do you want it to actually emit light into the scene? I just wonder because your method will be expensive to implement.

You can add the glow texture on top of the real wall texture with additive blending to get it to look like a real glow instead of a painted wall.

Usually to do a glow effect what is done is to render the objects you want to glow into a render target. This render target should be 1/2 the width and height of the scene. Then alpha blend it over the scene.

[edited by - yzzid on May 9, 2004 9:10:31 AM]

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!