• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Language, Link or Skill? known or learned? (or both?)

This topic is 5035 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi This is kind of the same line as the "Conversation AI" post. Some say language its merely a link betwen the AI and the human and not required for intelligence, others that language is a Skill that should be learned and required for intelligence. So, what´s your opinions? an AI should already know a language , it should learn it, both? not required for intelligence? required for intelligence? opinions? comments? neural_seeker2

Advertisement
The ability to formulate one''s thoughts is not intellignce. Although we say that intelligent people speak better than dumb people, the language is just a tool used by the intelligence itself.

As for it being build in - rather not. If we''d look at living beings and their N(atural)I, they have many things coded in, and the most important thing is motivation. The fact is, that if we''d create an AI that would resemble a human in every way, exept the build-in motivation, it wouldn''t do *anything*. Humans for example, have build in motivation, drives, and *foundations* for communication with other people. Thus, hard-coding the entire language is... overkill? An AI that would be able to utilise a language, should first be able to learn it by itself based on the included motivation. Any AI that has it''s language hard-coded is like a one-time disposable oven with an allready baked and warm goose in it.

The ability to formulate one''s thoughts is not intellignce. Although we say that intelligent people speak better than dumb people, the language is just a tool used by the intelligence itself.

As for it being build in - rather not. If we''d look at living beings and their N(atural)I, they have many things coded in, and the most important thing is motivation. The fact is, that if we''d create an AI that would resemble a human in every way, exept the build-in motivation, it wouldn''t do *anything*. Humans for example, have build in motivation, drives, and *foundations* for communication with other people. Thus, hard-coding the entire language is... overkill? An AI that would be able to utilise a language, should first be able to learn it by itself based on the included motivation. Any AI that has it''s language hard-coded is like a one-time disposable oven with an allready baked and warm goose in it.

Sorry for posting twice.

"An error occured..." which doesn''t mean it didn''t get posted.

click ''edit''. check the ''did you double post?'' box. click ''submit''.

I think a language is crucial for understanding - language is a tool for manipulating abstract concepts, and as such is actually, in whatever primitive form, an inherent part of intelligence. Possibly I''m agreeing with aphydx here, but from the other direction.

i think language is just a representation of thought, therefore on the fundamental level does not need to be learned, it can just be acquired. Children under a certain age (i forget what age it is) learn languages a lot better because they do not question why it is that way, they just learn it. On the other hand, to have true artificial intelligence, that intel would have to understand... and how does something understand? how do we understand? what are the mechanisms behind it? when somethink just clicks and you get it... what happened? if you can answer that, then i think you will truly have an artificial intelligence, and that you''ll just need to link the language to the concepts, which is what we do essentially...

quote:
Original post by Infuscare
On the other hand, to have true artificial intelligence, that intel would have to understand... and how does something understand?

Semantics: reference and recognition. There''s plenty of literature on this topic...

quote:

and that you''ll just need to link the language to the concepts, which is what we do essentially...

That''s the symbol grounding problem , which is still very much an open problem for AI. Stevan Harnad has some very good things to say about it and makes a good starting point for reading on the topic.

Timkin

• Advertisement