Divx Movie Player and Winamp

Started by
5 comments, last by Cibressus 19 years, 11 months ago
I can''t get the linux version of divx to work. are thier any alternitives, or s thier a way to retrive my terminals messages. it openns up, spits out some text before i can read it, then closes. also, i can no longer listen to Digitaly imported. are thier any .pls players? msuic player says it has to be a ogg stream.
| Member of UBAAG (Unban aftermath Association of Gamedev)
Advertisement
quote:Original post by Cibressus
I can''t get the linux version of divx to work. are thier any alternitives,

Find a "codec pack" for your distribution. FFmpeg and Xvid cover most codecs.

or s thier a way to retrive my terminals messages. it openns up, spits out some text before i can read it, then closes.

Find out the name of the executable and run it in a terminal. You can redirect the output of the program if that''s insufficient. More information than you probably need on IO redirection can be found here.

also, i can no longer listen to Digitaly imported. are thier any .pls players?

Most players that can handle streaming audio know what to do with URLs in a Winamp-style playlist file (XMMS and Rhythmbox should handle it just fine, for example). If nothing else works for you, open the file in a text editor and get the URL(s) out of it and play that.

msuic player says it has to be a ogg stream.

Red Hat is known to not include any ways to play MP3s (due to legal issues), you have to install the MP3 libraries and plug-ins afterward; if that''s your issue, see FreshRPMs for the necessary packages.

If that''s not the problem, use a different media player application that isn''t limited in that way.

try xmms (www.xmms.org) "as WinAMP" and MPlayer (www.mplayerhq.hu) "as Media Player". i installed both from source... DivX & .pls work fine... i''m listening to ''Digitally Imported'' every day... no problems at all :D

You may need to install the package mpg123 and the appropriate plugin for XMMS.
Free Mac Mini (I know, I'm a tool)
I wasn''t aware that xmms depends mpg123 (/321)

in fact, i''m pretty sure it does not
On fedora the mp3 support is removed so to use them with xmms you need the mpg123 plugin.
You need mp3 plugin, not mpg123 plugin. mpg123 was an old, console app for playing mp3 files.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement