• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ChaosPhoenix

Version Control software for Windows?

This topic is 5130 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m looking for something similiar to CVS for windows to help control development of software I am working on. Normally I would use the Unix alternative(CVS) but I just formatted by FreeBSD box the other day and I don''t feel like setting up another BSD system. I know of one that includes a pretty nice demo of the software that I believe starts with an F(Freeloader? Free-something?). Does anyone know of some decent version control software that runs on Windows and is relatively simple to setup and get going? Thanks.

Advertisement
Try out perforce (http://www.perforce.com/). I've used it in the past and it's pretty decent. They have a free version that's limited to 2 client connections (or at least they did when I tried it), which, if you're the only one using the source control, should be enough.

[edited by - Tape_Worm on May 9, 2004 3:59:54 PM]

I''ll second the recomendation of subversion. I''ve used cvs for a few years, and subversion is as good or better in all areas. TortoiseSVN is a shell extension for windows that makes versioning a doddle. Great stuff.

I also recommend using Subversion. I''ve been using it for a few months now and found it pretty simple to install and manage. Nice feature set and good manual also.

I''m gonna put in another vote for subversion Took me a couple of hours to set up a server (though I used BSD not windows) and learn how everything works. If you do get subversion TortoiseSVN is what you want for a nice client.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!