• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rasterized to vector graphics, prorgrammatically.

This topic is 5035 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have several bitmap images I am loading from disk; I have to use bitmaps for compatability reasons, and because the images will be supplied by a source outside of my power, but it would be much easier on me to represent those bitmaps as vector graphics, instead (everything else uses vector graphics at the moment). So, I could programmatically walk through the bitmap and change each pixel to a "rectangle", or I could use a complicated algorithm of that turns nearby pixels of the same color into one big polygon as opposed to several small rectangles, etc... But my real question is, has anyone else had any experience doing this? Is it a smart choice, or am I better off mixing rasterized images and vector graphics together? Would the performance hit be that bad if I did this at all?

Advertisement
What are you using to render them? If you render them to a raster display, I don''t think there''s any reason to convert them to vector graphics.

There are algorithms which will try to find bezier shapes within raster images and replace the raster image with a vector equivalent. They tend to suck, badly, with color gradients, complex detail, and hinted fonts.

Your best option, if you have it, is to mix raster and vector. Is there any good reason, other than simplicity, _not_ to do this?

"Sneftel is correct, if rather vulgar." --Flarelocke

Matei: They''re going to be rendered/rasterized through GDI+ and on-screen.

Snefel: code-conformity and uniform image manipulation, basically.

I thought it wasn''t a very prime idea, but I wanted to put it out there and see what everyone else thought.

• Advertisement