• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

urgent help needed to save my opengl projects

This topic is 5038 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all.. i really need some help here.. I tried to reinstall windows due to some problems and suddently my comp hang while installing the windows. This forced me to reset my computer and damage my hd. Luckily my hd has 2 partition ie c: & d: now partition c: cannot be used. i tried to format it but it said "invalid media or track 0 bad - disk unuseable". all my openGL projects are in drive d: and still ok. I searched the internet and found that i still can do a low level formatting on my drive c: to restore it back to factory condition. now i got the application to do the formatting but i need a conformation that doing a low level formatting on partition c: will not clear up the partition d: too. because if it does all my projects, researches and years of hardworks will be gone..... for anyone that has the experience doing low level formatting please help me... my other resort is to buy a new hd and install windows in it, then copy all the projects and do the low level formatting on the defective hd. but $$$ is always the problem

Advertisement
If you''re using WinXP, try using the recovery console and running the fixmbr and fixboot commands. It sounds like it''s just the partition table that''s causing problems.

If you''re really worried about the data, try slaving the drive to another computer and using a data recovery program.

-Overflowed

you could also try booting off a boot cd or boot floppy and seeing if you can access the D: drive. your projects will hopefully be small enough that you can zip them up and put them on a floppy (assuming you have a floppy disk drive). i'm not sure about the low level formatting of the C: drive. i'm not 100% sure how the whole partition table thing works, but could it be possible for a low level format to blow that away? anyway, if you boot off a floppy doing a format C: from the command like should work. just don't run fdisk.

anyway, worst case scenario, take the drive to a data recovery shop , fork over the $50 or so and get a few CDs with all your D: drive data. my experience with these things has always followed the pattern of:

1) GODDAM, my data is gone!!!
2) oh wait, i can do X
3) sweet, now i can see my data
4) now i can try Y
5) crap, now my data is gone FOREVER!

it all depends on how much that data is worth to you. you just mucking around with tools you've never used before might work, but since you've never used them you might screw up an order of operations thing and lose your data forever. it's a fun challenge but i'd say that 10% of the time working with low level things you'll just blow everything away. if you really care about the data, take the HD to someone who knows exactly what they're doing.

-me

[edited by - Palidine on May 9, 2004 6:31:47 PM]

[edited by - Palidine on May 9, 2004 6:34:14 PM]

You ABSOLUTELY need a back-up solution.

Is it CD-R? Lots of discs, but cheap per instance.
Is it DVD-R? You can get everything important on one or two discs.
Is it a file server on your network? If you already have a Linux box, hey, it''s already there! Add a drive and you''re golden.
Is it a pluggable hard drive? (USB2 or FireWire) Your files (or copies) can go with you.

No matter what you choose, you have to choose one, *NOW*. A computer is not complete without a backup solution, just like it''s not complete without a sound card. Selling computers without backup should be as shameful as selling computers without sound cards (or without network cards, for that matter :-)

So, get with the backup solution, back up your D drive, and THEN attempt recovery. Or just stick another drive in the machine, and install onto that, copying the files you want, and then wiping the original drive.

A low-level format of a DRIVE will nuke everything that''s on it.

A track-level format of a PARTIION will probably not nuke what''s on it, but that''s not usually what''s called a "low-level format".

If you''re using XP, I''d try the fixmbr and fixboot tools first, just like overflowed said. But not until after you''ve gotten your backup solution installed.

quote:
Original post by hplus0603
But not until after you''ve gotten your backup solution installed.

though i completely agree with him needing a backup solution, it''s kind of hard to install one when he can''t even boot his machine. the first step at the moment is to recover his data. recovery will most likely involve getting the data onto floppies or a CD-R, so almost de facto, recovering his data will involve backing it up in some way. it''s important to point out that if your HD crapped out, it''s probably beginning to die so you should probably get a new one or at least become a data backup nazi b/c this will almost certainly happen again. anyway, i''ll repeat my suggestion to take the HD to a data recover shop and get your data on nice shiny new CDs or DVDs.

and this can be a nice lesson on why you should back up your data daily. hope everything works out. i''ve lost data before, it sucks.

-me

ok... thanks all.. now I got someone that trust me to open up his computer and doing that slaving and backing up things..

the reason that i tried to reintall windows was because it said "unable to update driver configuration database"(someting like that)when i restart after installing a driver for my very new cd-rw drive and keeps accessing floppy drive every 2 minutes and hang for 2 minutes more. and guest why did i buy a new cd-rw drive....?

• Advertisement