• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Muncher

a minor Lightmapping niggle

This topic is 5276 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hehe ok, i can post pictures now! Coz i need pictures to illustrate the problem.... its not really a problem, more of a niggle thats annoying me..... Anyway, here is a screenshot of our 3d engine in action, rendering a nice scene. hooray! If you look closely, you can see "seams" of where two polygons join each other. This is caused by the lightmaps being darker near the edges of the polys.... but i can''t quite figure out WHY its darker. Ive tried increasing the resolution of the maps... to no avail. I was wondering if anyone has experienced anything like this, or has an idea of whats going on. Cheers Muncher

Advertisement
I did, in my engine (we don't use lightmaps tho). The problem turned out to be bad normals, generated by a plug in.
Are you using normals too, or only lightmaps?
Even if you are using only lightmaps, look for normal problems when you generate them. Furthermore, do you average the normals on a side, to provide a smoother lightmap? If so, try to turn that off.

[edited by - Raduprv on May 9, 2004 9:48:18 PM]

i take it the dark edges on the light maps arent present in the light maps themselves?
if so, what settings are you using for your texture clamping? and which card are you testing on?

hrmmm i''ll have a look, it could be a normal miscalculation...

But Im not averaging the normals near the edges, in fact the lightmap for each polygon extends past its edges (ie/ the lightmaps are square, but the polys are only triangles).

Like _the_phantom_ said, is the problem in the lightmaps as well, or only in the rendered scene?
Do you enable lighting in OpenGL or not? If you do, try to disable it.

Card is GeForce3

texture settings are:

glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_S,GL_CLAMP_TO_EDGE);
glTexParameteri( GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_T,GL_CLAMP_TO_EDGE );

the dark edges are present in the lightmaps: Here is the same screen with only the lightmaps rendered...

Can you disable the lightmaps, and use the opengl lighting, to see if it is a normal problem?

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!