a minor Lightmapping niggle

Started by
17 comments, last by Muncher 19 years, 11 months ago
the clamp_to_edge produced the best results. Others made the lightmaps have very strong borders. I can''t think of much else to change without completely diving back into the code and sorting the problem out..... doh,i want a quick fix
Advertisement
Is it to hard to make the lightmap not extend past/below the edges?
aye, clamp_to_edge is the correct mode you'd want for a light map.

If you look closely at the OpenGL lighted image you can make out a slight band at about the same point the bands are on the light mapped version.. now, this could be down to image compression however it does seem a tad coincidental that that would be the case...

[edited by - _the_phantom_ on May 9, 2004 11:44:55 PM]
Yes, but they are not that accentuated as in the lightmaps version...
hmmm the fact they exist at all at the same point in the image seems to support the fact there IS a problem, and that problem is probably being made worse by the lower rez nature of the lightmap... at least that is what would seem likely to me..

[Phantom Web | OpenGL Window Framework]
"i wonder why i do that... type words which are nuffin like the word i wanted every now and badger"

[edited by - _the_phantom_ on May 9, 2004 12:02:13 AM]
I would guess you have a bilinear texture filtering problem. It can only be solved by your
lightmapper, as the problem comes from how your texture was generated. Your border pixels
have to be *exactly* the same (e.g. color), otherwise you will get visible seams.
Whatever you''re doing, don''t blur your lightmaps if your lightmapper gives you this option.
yeah, your right phantom, there is that same band on the openGL lit scene. I didn''t realize, i just took the screenshot and didn''t really look closely. I have since looked at it closely (i can post a screenie if ya want... i like pictures) and there is a very distinct line there.

Still, im not quite sure whats causing it. Thanks for your help so far to guys, i really appreciate it.

Muncher
If the line is really there (the image is too small, and it can be due to a compression artefact) then check your normals (and/or materials).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement