• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

zavx

Bouncing ball revisited

This topic is 5216 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Where to start.... ok im revisiting a problem that i never fully solved, well not in a correct manner (previously i used an equation to rotate the ball with time, changing the rotation and direction on contact with the floor, thus producing a bouncing effect). This was a bad way to do what i wanted and now out of curosity im revisiting the problem again.... Im basically trying to make a ball bounce on the spot indefinatly. i'm using DirectX and C++.... i have a basic timer and im using the equation: s = u*t + half a t*2 u = initial velocity t = time a = gravitational acceleration -9.81 I'm starting the ball at about 60 units above a flat plane then each frame i update 's' and apply this to the '-Y' possition of the ball object then i update 'u'. on contact with the floor im bouncing the ball by reversing 's' with a sort of bouncy factor i.e s *= -0.9 //sort of a rubber bounce effect then i just itterate from the start can anyone se anything wrong with this theory? [edited by - zavx on May 9, 2004 10:28:41 PM]

Advertisement
sample code (inside a render function)

g_Sink += g_BallVelY * time + 0.5f * (g_Gravity * (time * time)));

if ( contact()) //contact was made with the floor
{
//bounce
g_Sink *= -0.9f; //bounce amount
}
g_BallPosY += g_Sink;

g_BallVelY += g_BallVelY * time;

using the above, the ball is ok for about 2 or 3 bounces then the bounce height and speed goes out of control...

Guest Anonymous Poster
Perhaps it should be:

g_BallVelY += g_Gravity * time;

tryed both ways but i cant get the bounce to be consistant.... i have an excell version of a bouncing ball from a friend whos studying graphics and my calculations are exactly the same.. yet its not working at expected in DX....

what i would use is "v = u + at" where u is the start speed v is final speed, a is acceleration and t is time. Then when the ball hits the ground just increase U back to just below the value you started with to simulate the ball losing energy.

changed it a little.

g_Sink += g_BallVelY * time + (0.5f * g_Gravity * time * time );

if ( contact()) //contact was made with the floor

g_Sink *= -0.9f; //bounce amount (0.9 = rubber 0.0 = sand)

g_BallPosY += g_Sink;

this works in a fashion, by that the ball bounces just a little too fast so i guess i just have to implement a reliable timer and thats it......

Does anyone have any good book references for this sort of thing? or more specificaly a bouncing ball example that i can see an alternative method?

the best thing to do is i think to look up on the concept of velocity, acceleration in a textbook or some physics site.

step 1 : update the position

x = x + velocity*time + 0.5*acceleration*time*time

step 2 : update the velocity

v = v + acceleration*time

if collided with floor, change sign of velocity

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!