• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

iaretony

A beginner BSP question...

This topic is 5209 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

On page 1104 of Michael Abrash''s "Graphics Programming Black Book" their is a top down picture of a bunch of walls, and next to them, is the BSP tree created by these walls... If you have the book, Why doesn''t wall D, which splits wall C, actually show up in the BSP? If you don''t have the book, my question is basically why 1 of the walls splits another, which creates sub-spaces, but another of the walls which also splits another wall in the picture does not... Does this make any sense? Tony

Advertisement
Are you sure the wall you''re talking about is actually used as a dividing plane? If not, even if it spans both sides of some other wall it won''t have to be split.

I happen to have that book right here, and...

D does show up in the BSP, as the front child of C. But maybe I''m misinterpreting what you''re saying.

But, to answer your question. In this case, C is picked as the first splitting plane. This gives us two half-spaces, and two new sets of polys, B and AE on one side and D on the other.

A poly can only split another poly in its own half-space. D is the only poly in its half-space, so it doesn''t split any other polys. On the other side we have the polys AE and B. If AE had been chosen (rather than B) as the splitting plane, there would be no further splits. Since B is chosen, it splits AE into A and E. Note, however, that B bisects, but does not split, C. This is because B can only split polys in its own half-space, and C is not in its half-space.

Hmm. This stuff is a little hard to explain. Did that help at all?

I think I get it... Basically, if you have a wall A, and it''s left subspace contains B, C, and D... Regardless of whether B,C, or D bisect A, they cannot split it since it is not really in their space... They are in ITS half space...

Tony

"I think I get it... Basically, if you have a wall A, and it''s left subspace contains B, C, and D... Regardless of whether B,C, or D bisect A, they cannot split it since it is not really in their space... They are in ITS half space..."

Correct.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!