• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nickwinters

DirectPlay and Macs?

This topic is 5216 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Is there a way for Macs to be able to connect to a server using DirectPlay? I''m beginning work on an MMO, and would like to develop for both Macs and PC. I have a good understanding of sockets, and can use them if I must, but I would like to get some experience writing a game with DirectPlay. If there isn''t a current way, are there any projects working on a way to do it?

Advertisement
As far as I know, DPlay is windows-only, and there's no one working on reverse-engineering their algorithms (but I'd look at WineX before saying that, though I still think it's a "No")

Muhammad Haggag,
Optimize
Bitwise account: MHaggag -

[edited by - Coder on May 9, 2004 11:34:36 PM]

I suspect that reverse-engineering the DirectPlay protocol would be against the terms of the license you agree to when installing the SDK.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!