• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Instruo

SDL_GL_SwapBuffers Slow?

This topic is 5127 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Quick question for anyone that''s played with SDL a fair amount. My SDL_GL_SwapBuffers call seems to be extremely slow... 75-80 fps on an XP 2.1 with 1024 of PC3200 and a GeForce4 Ti4600 on WinXP Pro. It doesn''t seem strange to me that it goes considerably faster when not calling SDL_GL_SwapBuffers (since, obviously, it''s not pushing anything to be rendered), but what does seem weird to me is that it goes the same speed when I disable all of my object drawing code... So, it appears to be completely independent of what I''m drawing. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Thanks in advance!

Advertisement
Wow, I''m such a n00ber I can''t even tell you. Thanks for alieving my temporary lack of mental function

The cool thing is you can check the source of any SDL function to see what it does:
void WIN_GL_SwapBuffers(_THIS)
{
SwapBuffers(GL_hdc);
}

It calls WGL!! I''d be so bold as to guess that the problem is not in SDL. VSync is a good guess.

Guest Anonymous Poster
You should think about reading up on vertical/horizontal retrace, and how monitors work in general. This will give you a better picture as to what''s going on.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!