• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chief_Voyager

databases in games

This topic is 5129 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

just started my database applications class, and i like to think of things in a game context to help me picture things from a different angle. are database type things done often in games? i''ve used the elderscrolls construction set for morrowind before, and i noticed that the layout is kind of like a database where you change weapon strengths and other attributes (characters, magic, ect.) what other uses could there be for a database in a game?

Advertisement
World information, Player save-game information, High Scores list.

Anything involving saving data can be used by a database.

You''d most likely find it being in MMORPGs, where you''ve got to save a shitload of information on the server.

Next time you write a single-player game bigger than, say, Tetris... or bigger than some nasty-simple point&click adventure... please do tell me how that single array worked out for you.

True databasing is neat, and introduces several useful advantages and techniques... but the overhead of a database is currently usually too much for a sufficiently large game. Very simple chopped-down databases, sometimes, like in Morrowind, but no properly realized ones.

quote:

but the overhead of a database is currently usually too much for a sufficiently large game.

Not at all true. MMORPGs are a fine example.

Guest Anonymous Poster
I suppose that a database would make a great resource format for most games; for instance the Berkley Database (one backend for MySQL), (which is availble free for OSS projects & I think at a fairly low cost for comercial projects). It would certainly make easy work of storing & retrieving data.

considering if you''re starting from scratch, a texture manager, particle preset effects, a model manager, voice acting sound effects tables, as well as so many other things that you don''t even think about.

I don''t know what kind of database you had in mind, but those are just some misc. ones that I though of.

quote:
Not at all true. MMORPGs are a fine example.

Next time, take the paragraph in context; "Very simple chopped-down databases, sometimes, like in Morrowind, but no properly realized ones." Even in MMORPGs, the so-called database is not a fully realized database, and is for the greater part just database-like (and wisely so) techniques of data storage and indexing.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!