• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

aquaman

sdl

This topic is 5301 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Sorry but I couldn''t find a more appropriate forum category to post this...so here it is. I am running Mac OS X 10.2.8, and just installed SDL. I kept getting errors when I was installing in my account so I logged in as root and was able to install. However the libraries can only be accessed if I am root. If I try to compile a program using SDL in my user account, the compiler says it can''t find the SDL header files. Also when I use Project Builder and start a new project, SDL application is not an option using my user account, but it is if I am root. I suppose it''s not a big deal but I would like to know why I can''t install SDL unless I am logged in as root. Also it would be annoying to have to log in as root whenever I wanted to write an SDL application. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Advertisement
I'm no expert on MacOS X, but I can give you some pointers from a Unix perspective.

Installing things as root is pretty normal. Usually when you install something you want all users to be able to access it. Hence its files are placed in global folders as the root user with global read permission. Many things, however, can be "installed" by the user into their own home folder, though this isn't as common on desktop machines.

As for those problems: I don't know. It could be a Mac thing, in which case have a look for some SDL on MacOS X tutorials. Otherwise it could just be a broken install, or you might've installed it into root's home folder.

So tell us: how did you install it? (make install?) Where did you install it to? (Did you use ./configure?) Do you know where the header files are?

[edited by - Doc on May 9, 2004 12:19:18 AM]

Do you have two accounts set up on your OS X machine? If so, you may have installed Project Builder seperatly in both accounts (hence the lack of SDL). Did you use the GUI installer or ./configure and make? Try redownloading and reinstalling using the GUI installer. If that still doesn''t work, post back here (I use OS X 10.3).

Thanks for your replies. There are two gui versions; SDL_1.2.7-dev*.zip and SDL_1.2.7*.zip. The former only installs properly if I am using the root account. The latter installs with no problems under my user account. Either way I still only have access to SDL if I am in my root account. I agree it sounds like it is installing in the root home directory so other my user account doesn''t have access to it. However I can see the framework directories in the system library and my user library.

So I have uninstalled all of the libraries and removed all traces of SDL from my computer. I have reinstalled from the command line in my user account using ./configure, make, make install. I only become root for the make install part and only from command line. I am not sure if it worked yet because I am still trying to understand how all of the different make files with SDL work, i.e. Makefile.am,and friends.If you have advice or suggestions for this or my original problem I''d like to hear.

Thanks a bunch,
Daniel

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!