• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hombre08107

Side Scrollers

This topic is 5211 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

What''s a good DirectX book for my needs? I finished "Sams Teach Yourself Game Programming in 24 Hours" and was upset to find that there was little to do with the classes you built on that book. I''m looking for the next step towards my goal. By the end of this summer I am aiming towards completing a game project, this game taking the equation of the Metroid and GBA Castlevania games. I''m looking for a book that covers how to use maybe DirectDraw to accomplish a tile based side scroller. I''m not looking into delving into the 3D realm. Anyone have a suggestion on a comprehensive book that will cover all of my needs?

Advertisement
quote:
Original post by hombre08107
I''m looking for a book that covers how to use maybe DirectDraw to accomplish a tile based side scroller.

''Isometric Game Programming'' may sound like an obscure choice for what you''re after, but it really is a good book. All sorts of fundamental stuff for creating a game, and the isometric stuff is only really a complication of regular side scrolling.

You might try to find a book on side scrolling by Diane Gruber that delves into side-scrolling. It''s free on the net and explains in good depth about side scrolling. It''s DOS based but you can adapt easily enough. It goes very deep into editor and level design plus function pointers.

ZoomBoy
Developing a iso-tile 2D RPG with skills, weapons, and adventure. See my old Hex-Tile RPG GAME, character editor, diary, 3D Art resources at Check out my web-site

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!