Direct 3D and HUDs

Started by
14 comments, last by ManifestDestiny 19 years, 11 months ago
the DXFont is really slow it used to cut the fps in half on my application. Do this instead.

make a texture with ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVXYZ and whatever other letters you''d want to use.
Advertisement
Uh, I hate to break it to you but this is exactly what the DXFont class does. It uses GDI to setup a texture with all the letters in it.
-dizzyGame Institute InternPlease rate me. :)
quote:Original post by yzzid
Uh, I hate to break it to you but this is exactly what the DXFont class does. It uses GDI to setup a texture with all the letters in it.
And your source on this is... ?

"The Holocaust was an obscene period in our nation's history. I mean in this century's history. But we all lived in this century. I didn't live in this century."...Governor George W. Bush, 9/15/95
quote:Original post by OOCCO
And your source on this is... ?

It''s fairly common knowledge that D3DX used GDI to make a font cache. It''s been stated by the DX team a number of times.

D3DXFont (as of the Summer 2003 Update) is quite fast. The older version was pretty slow but that''s old news.

Stay Casual,

Ken
Drunken Hyena
Stay Casual,KenDrunken Hyena
quote:Original post by Dakiar
the DXFont is really slow it used to cut the fps in half on my application. Do this instead.

Were you using the Summer 2003 SDK?

Stay Casual,

Ken
Drunken Hyena
Stay Casual,KenDrunken Hyena
Yes D3DX uses the GDI to create the font letters. I think only at creation time though and apparently as the last poster said this is improved in summer update. I tried using it for a gui and ended up rolling my own instead due to the speed hit but I aim to try it again as it is less hassle than making your own
------------------------See my games programming site at: www.toymaker.info

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement