• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best book on software 3D Rendering ?

This topic is 5123 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I would like to try writting my own software 3d rendering engine, to learn more about 2d/3d theory. I''ve got a decent experience in both OpenGL and Direct3D, and game programming. I''m looking for a book that would help me getting started, and was wondering which one you guys would suggest me. I''ve seen quite a few on Amazon already, but they''re quite expensive, so I want to make sure I''m getting the best possible book. Also if you know any useful web resource dealing with software rendering, I''m interesed too ! Thanks in advance. Spk

Advertisement
Realtime Rendering 2002 edition for the theory of 3d graphics.

Tricks of the 3D Game Programming Gurus-Advanced 3D Graphics and Rasterization for less theory but more code for software rendering.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Tricks of the 3D Game Programming Gurus-Advanced 3D Graphics and Rasterization is one of the best in my opinion. You may also want the previous book in the series, but that is not strictly necessary. I found I coulf write a basic 3D engine in software after a few chapters, but it does go on to explain texturing, lighting, mip-mapping, Z-Bufferig, 1/Z buffering, BSP, animation, shadowing - well worth a read. (And no I am not paid to say that!)

quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
Tricks of the 3D Game Programming Gurus-Advanced 3D Graphics and Rasterization is one of the best in my opinion. You may also want the previous book in the series, but that is not strictly necessary. I found I coulf write a basic 3D engine in software after a few chapters, but it does go on to explain texturing, lighting, mip-mapping, Z-Bufferig, 1/Z buffering, BSP, animation, shadowing - well worth a read. (And no I am not paid to say that!)

Is that one dealing with the unfortunate case where you have no FPU? Just curious.

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but it''s kind of related.

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by Coincoin
quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster

Is that one dealing with the unfortunate case where you have no FPU? Just curious.

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but it''s kind of related.

Sort of assumes a FPU is available. The code used floating point for alot of stuff but there is also information about fixed point math and some of the drawing code is written using fixed point math to avoid the conversion from float to int. I guess you won''t have much trouble adapting the code for a system without FPU and the theory is still relevant.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!