• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shadowed

Network design generic question

This topic is 5212 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello everyone. I got a pretty generic question here concerning the selection of my network programming way. The game works already and it is an isometric multiplayer RPG, where the network-sending stuff is pretty much event-based: clicked-here-done-this, clicked-there-done-that. I would like to hear advises on what should I prefer for the network: - TCP - UDP - TCP/IOCP - UDP/IOCP some 2000 players on a PIV HT machine are pretty enough for me. So what''s the optimal selection for the current project? Thanks a lot for assistance.

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
Asynchronous processing would be good considering your number of users. Whther TCP or UDP depends a little more on what data is sent. You might use both, using udp for movement or anyhting that is constantly updated and either tcp or reliable udp for things like chat messages. Though, i guess with point and click movement, it might not be constatnly updated like that. UDP might be an unnecesary hassle for you. THough if there is any data that streams, and can lose packets as long as a later ones arrive, definitely consider udp.

quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
Asynchronous processing would be good considering your number of users. Whther TCP or UDP depends a little more on what data is sent. You might use both, using udp for movement or anyhting that is constantly updated and either tcp or reliable udp for things like chat messages. Though, i guess with point and click movement, it might not be constatnly updated like that. UDP might be an unnecesary hassle for you. THough if there is any data that streams, and can lose packets as long as a later ones arrive, definitely consider udp.

I have been thinking a lot, and as far as I see, there is literally no case when I need to send unreliable or without-ordering packets. I have to choose TCP in that case, you would say, but I really don''t think that choosing a connection-oriented thing is good.. however, the question is - if for my particular case [click-click and 2000max] TCP is OK [I think I will develop a pretty good protocol], then why not. That''s the question. Thanks.

Like the AP said, it really depends on what data you are sending over the network. Why isn''t a connection oriented thing good? You''re going to need some way to keep track of who is online and when they leave anyways. I think the main point you need to look at is with 2000 users all constantly sending movement packets, will TCP be quick enough? With your event oriented system, will UDP be reliable enough? You might want to look into a combination of both along with IOCP due to the number of users you have... That is getting pretty complicated though, but it would be my recommendation.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!